Headphone + HiFiMan EF2A Advice
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zro30

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

After much research, and learning tons of good info., I'm still stuck on what headphones I should be looking at to go with my HiFiMan EF2A AMP/DAC.  I'm finding bits and pieces of advice from different posts, but it's beginning to be a bit challenging piecing it together so I thought it best to ask directly.

What I'm looking for is a headphone in the ~$300.00 range to run through my EF2A.  The options seem endless.  I listen to EDM (techno & tech house) almost exclusively, so I'm looking for something to complement that.  Not really a bass-head, but do like a good clean and solid thump.  What you would expect from this music. 

I currently have Allen & Heath Xone XD:53s, which I use mainly for mixing and not listening.   Time to upgrade for listening.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 8
  DT 880 250 Ohm is a great pairing.

Thanks - the 880s are ones I was looking at.  Do you think these over the 250ohm 990s?

One of the most strongly recommended were the V-Moda M-100.  These seem great, but am concerned about the comments on a lack of decent mids (or that is the bass overpowering).

Others I'm considering:
Beyer DT1350
Hifiman He-300
Ultrasone Pro 750

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Unlike any of the others you listed (with the possible exception of the 1350), the DT 880 is an audiophile class can and in the past was the flagship of the Beyer line.  I suggest that you read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

Although it's about the 600 Ohm version which is slightly superior, there is only a bit a difference between it & the 250 Ohm version.  See also:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Good reads - thanks for providing the links (I neglected to read the top 50 comparison one despite seeing it posted above - sorry). 

So what about the 990 vs. 880 for my type of music and amp/dac?  I'm getting seriously mixed opinions (no surprise) on which has more bass, and/or is the true flagship.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 8
The DT 990 is too colored (emphasized bass and treble) to be an audiophile can or the Beyer flagship--ever.  I have only listened to the 990 and don't own it.  So, I can't tell you about how well/poorly it pairs with specific equipment.  So it may come down to what sound signature you prefer.

I don't listen to EDM.  I can only tell you that the DT 880 (as pointed out in the Flagship piece) "complements every genre of music"--and that it is an A+ value for the money paid.  

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Razordog can get you a deal on the HE400's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back