Headphone help
Apr 26, 2003 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SageOHaze

New Head-Fier
I know i'm asking a hard topic, but I'm a huge fan of classical music and a huge fan of techno, drum and bass etc as well. I also listen to a great deal of talk-radio. So, basicly, I'm looking for something that can really do bass but still play classical music well. Isolation of the sh 280s (more = better) isn't totaly needed, but it has to be closed for my isolation and the people i work and live with, so closed cans are needed. Again, i know this is hard but i'm looking for a total setup of around 100$ I know, I know, But it's really all i can afford. I've seen Sennheiser HD 280s offer pretty much what i want, but the bass is very poor, or so i've heard. I've also read about the Beyerdynamic 770 Pros , a little more pricey (plus i should add an amp?), but i think i can find a deal that isn't too bad.

So, i beg of you audiophile gods, please tell me what i should buy! any suggestions are welcome :p

Apr 26, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 11
The HD280's bass isn't that bad. I would say it is a tad shy but it is quite extended, tight and tuneful. I never get the feeling that there is a severe lack of bass, on occasion though I might think to myself "Gee, just a little more grunt on the bottom end would be nice". If you have or use an EQ the bass can be boosted a bit with great success.

The DT770's are more expensive than your budget and pretty much require an amp. The 280's will also benefit from a decent amp but I don't think they require it in quite the same way.

Apr 26, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Oh and by the way, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by SageOHaze
I know i'm asking a hard topic, but I'm a huge fan of classical music and a huge fan of techno, drum and bass etc as well. I also listen to a great deal of talk-radio. So, basicly, I'm looking for something that can really do bass but still play classical music well. Isolation of the sh 280s (more = better) isn't totaly needed, but it has to be closed for my isolation and the people i work and live with, so closed cans are needed. Again, i know this is hard but i'm looking for a total setup of around 100$ I know, I know, But it's really all i can afford. I've seen Sennheiser HD 280s offer pretty much what i want, but the bass is very poor, or so i've heard. I've also read about the Beyerdynamic 770 Pros , a little more pricey (plus i should add an amp?), but i think i can find a deal that isn't too bad.

So, i beg of you audiophile gods, please tell me what i should buy! any suggestions are welcome :p

Sony 7506. Then start saving for a REAL set of headphones: Stax electrostatics.

Apr 26, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 11
I've also read about the Ultrasone HFI-650, bass problems too (more expensive, as well..but maybe worth it? I don't know)? I think (sorry sony guy) I'll probably go with the hd280s, pretty cheap, around my budget and then i can save up. But bass is a key issue, clarity is also (for the classical tunes and talk radio)

Will the sd280s offer me that "BOOM" feeling, can you feel it?

EDIT: Can you even comapre the sony to the hd280s with bass, is it better, worse, clarity?

Apr 26, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 11
No, I can't say as you can "feel" it. Maybe if you EQ'd it but I don't usually bother unless it's a crappy mp3 on my computer at work.

Apr 26, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Hmm reading posts, it seems the v6 is on par with isolation with the hd280s? And bass you can feel? I dunno... user comments?

Another question, where is an affordable place where i can order the hd280s and try them out for a few months (or, whatever, people say they get much better over time so... you know) and then return them if i'm not happy?

Apr 27, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 11
The V6/7506 is not on a par with the HD280 for isolation. Far from it. The HD280 is very isolating.
The V6/7506 has a more apparent bass than the HD280, in that it decays slower. The HD280 has a comparatively abbreviated bass which can result in less of a kick, but does extend to very low frequencies so that you can feel it all the same. I found the V6/7506 more entertaining for pop music etc than the HD280, but more fatiguing in the end, both in terms of sound and comfort.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 11
What is your source btw?
I would suggest that:
1. you get sony mdr-v6/7506 with no amp.
2.get 2nd hand sony mdr v6, and 2nd hand meta42 or something..
3. save up up abit more and get beyerdynamic dt250-80.
It's a very good close headphone.Much more refined than the V6.

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 11
You can get the beyer 250-80 at headroom and have 30 days to try them out. 169.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back