Headphone Help pls
Jul 25, 2002 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

-spy-

New Head-Fier
Ok my post just vanished
so ill post it again

I just got my philips HP890s in the mail. Awesome headphones

But im having some problems. When i plug them into the soundcard directly...using the same hole that my speaker plug usually goes in (i've always been a speaker man until now), the volume on the phones is really quiet. I turn everything up in windows fully, windows volume, winamp volumes etc...and its still soft..Since theres no volume control on the headphones i dont know what else to do..i could control volume on my speaker knob before...

That leads me to my second question. If i plug the headphones into the headphone port in the speakers, and the speakers arent anything special, will i lose quality/accuracy of positional audio since its running through some $20 speakers rather than the souncard? Cause thats the only way i can get volume atm =(

I'm on a ****ty onboard sondcard atm, but my santa cruz should be arriving tomorrow so i'd like to have it sorted out by then..

help would bne appreciated

ta

spy

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 4
-spy-
HI: I am sorry to tell you this but I owne the 890s and find that they need lots of power and to sound at thier max they need even more power. Dont look at the spects because they will mislead you. I found that the 890s need as much power as my 580s to sound at the wow factor but even fail at that because of breakup at that power. So I found that the 890s can sound good with good power and be very nice cans for what they cost. I think you need an amp but it dont have to be a highend amp.

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 4
If you're using Sounblaster Live or a similar card, the software that came with it, has an option to switch to headphone, rather than speaker listening mode. Double click on the speaker icon, click on speaker selection and select headphones. That may help with the volume issue.

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 4
If that doesn't work, turn your software volume controls all the way up, plug your speakers into your soundcard and your headphones into your speakers. Your speakers have an internal amp that may or may not affect headphone output -- if it does, you should get better gain.

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back