Headphone help. Budget: €150
Dec 31, 2008 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

faranka

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently searching for a new headphone and wondering if someone could help me.
I'm looking for closed back headphones wich isolate pretty good 'cause i'm using public transfers every day.
My musical preferences vary from easy-listening to screamo and a few soundtracks (especialy LOTR). I'm not listening to electronic music and no R&B stuff so a very loud bass is no 'must have' tough i don't mind having it. My budget can reach up to €150 (wich is about $210 (USD) and 150GBP).
The source i'll use is a COWON D2 with a FiiO E5 as an amp.

The headphones i found where these:
Sennheiser hd-1 II
Ultrasone proline 650 (€105,00)
Ultrasone hfi 680 (140.0)
Ultrasone hfi 650 (€95,00)
(BTW at this moment I own a pair of AKG k324p's so in-earphone i have.)

Can someone help me out making a decision or sugest another headphone?

Thanks,

Frank

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, all Ultrasones I tried had only a mediocre isolation, and the ones you selected all have very tiny and narrow cups. The 2nd disadvantage is that Ultrasones normally have strong bass and treble, and the mids are a bit recessed and cold sounding, many people dislike that presentation (me dead sure).

I personally ended up using the AKG K271 for such portabel issues, that is a very "audiophile" solution and isolates like crazy. Looks a bit goofy though.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply.
So your post makes me consider not to buy an Ultrasone.
For the AKG K271 i think it's to large to use on an every day base but AKG is one of the few headphones i can listen to before buying here so i'll take a look at them.

Anyone else with recomendations?

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Then take your player with you. The K271 is one of the cans that sounds awful out of an integrated amp or supermarket headphone walls. And the K271 needs other pads to achieve full quality level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back