Headphone help and Recommendations...
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LabMember00X

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this site and audio in general. After my Shure SE215 and my Sony MDR V-6 broke, I made the decision to introduce myself to some true audio equipment. But because I lack the experience and knowledge, I don't know which to buy and which to look out for. 
I just bought a Schiit Asgard Headphone Amplifier and I'm looking for a great pair of headphones that would go great with it (no price limit for this one).
I'm also in search for a good pair of headphones for portable use along with a good portable amp as well (will use it 60% outside and 40% indoors; price limit is $200 for the headphone and $150 for the amp). Both of them preferably over-ear headphones.
I listen to most genres of music, excluding metal. 
Any help/suggestions/recommendations will be of great aid.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 7
No price limit? Really? Well then, you certainly do deserve the head-fi traditional greeting:

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

There is an entire forum devoted to the lofty pinnacle of head-fi madness: http://www.head-fi.org/f/113/high-end-audio-forum

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for that. Is that the Head-Fi motto? 
Well, only for my home audio. My biggest problem is if the headphone I'll buy for my home audio will have a good compatibility with the amplifier I bought. I heard that there are headphones that don't perform at their best when not with the right amp. And that's what I'm afraid of, since I don't have enough knowledge of audio equipment. As long as it's for my home audio, no limit since it will be my first ever high grade audio stuff. (Well, when it exceeds $20k then I need to think about it.) But what I need to watch out for is the portable system I'm searching for. Something good and less than $500 because if it exceed that, the risk of me getting jumped when I'm in the parking lot will increase.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 7
  Hi, I'm new to this site and audio in general. After my Shure SE215 and my Sony MDR V-6 broke, I made the decision to introduce myself to some true audio equipment. But because I lack the experience and knowledge, I don't know which to buy and which to look out for. 
I just bought a Schiit Asgard Headphone Amplifier and I'm looking for a great pair of headphones that would go great with it (no price limit for this one).
I'm also in search for a good pair of headphones for portable use along with a good portable amp as well (will use it 60% outside and 40% indoors; price limit is $200 for the headphone and $150 for the amp). Both of them preferably over-ear headphones.
I listen to most genres of music, excluding metal. 
Any help/suggestions/recommendations will be of great aid.

What sources will the Asgard be plugged into?
What portable audio player are you using?

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 7
If you hang out in the summit-fi forum for any length of time, you will learn that at the high end there really isn't a "best" - because no one can agree on what "best" means. The fights between fans of Fostex, Stax, Audeze, Abyss, etc, etc are never ending. Personally, I think amp synergy is somewhat over-stated. Especially with good, relatively neutral amps that have enough power to easily drive your 'phones and your phones are not so low in impedance that they cause hiss.

If you want to save some money and get some nice 'phones for the Asgard, I would look at Mr Speakers Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs. I heard the Mad Dogs on an Asgard, and I really liked them - but they aren't in Audeze LCD 2 or LCD 3 territory.

On the portables, I'm not sure what to recommend. I also struggle with recommendations in the $150-$200 range. I think the best I can do is suggest the comparison threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-final-update-march-1st-2013

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 7
If you hang out in the summit-fi forum for any length of time, you will learn that at the high end there really isn't a "best" - because no one can agree on what "best" means. The fights between fans of Fostex, Stax, Audeze, Abyss, etc, etc are never ending. Personally, I think amp synergy is somewhat over-stated. Especially with good, relatively neutral amps that have enough power to easily drive your 'phones and your phones are not so low in impedance that they cause hiss.

If you want to save some money and get some nice 'phones for the Asgard, I would look at Mr Speakers Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs. I heard the Mad Dogs on an Asgard, and I really liked them - but they aren't in Audeze LCD 2 or LCD 3 territory.

On the portables, I'm not sure what to recommend. I also struggle with recommendations in the $150-$200 range. I think the best I can do is suggest the comparison threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-final-update-march-1st-2013

Is see so both high end and low end headphones are still in a dead heat of debate. I never tried the Alpha/Mad dogs or the LCDs, but is the difference between the 2 really that big in terms of audio quality? Sorry for the noob question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back