Headphone Graduation Gift
May 27, 2004 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Folks,

My brothers high school graduation is this weekend, and unfortunately, I can't make it home for it. But, I've decided what better gift could I give him than starting him off on the hi-fi road of the damned (i.e. poor)! For this reason, I'm thinking of getting him his first pair of real cans. I was thinking the Grado SR 60 might be the way to go here, but I'm open to suggestions. He listens almost exclusively to rap and hip-hop, with some harder rock tossed in for good measure. His only source is a very crappy PCDP, and sound card on the lap top he hopes to buy this summer. He loves bass, but instead of something that is just boomy, I want to get him something balanced across the spectrum, with deep, tight bass, as well as detailed mids and highs. Suggestions outside fo the Grados?

May 27, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 22
Has he tried on any Grados before? You might ask him to try on a pair before you buy him a pair. A couple of years I had a chance to try out a friend's pair of Grado's, it was the most UNCOMFORTABLE thing I had ever put on my ears, no matter how good the sound is (I actually didn't even bother to listen to the Grados, because it was so uncomfortable).

May 27, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 22
What's the price ceiling? Often I think the SR60 (or SR80 or MS1) are great starter/bang-for-buck cans and suggest them to friends. Any reason he'd need closed cans?

May 27, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 22
The SR60 is a decent choice for an audiophile-to-be.
I have started down this path and have the SR60 and is happy about it.

But from the description of your brother, I don't think he would like it.
The bass is tight, but it's very very far from boomy.

But if the price is right for you and you want transform him to listen to more quality stuff, then SR60 is by all means a great choice!

May 27, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 22
Grado's can be pretty comfortable if you adjust the headband. Mine came with a paper explaining to bend the headband to adjust them. If I had a bigger head [I'm a pretty lean person] they might be even better [have a tendency to leave a few marks on my cheekbones]. Also, the headband will have a tendency to make a nice dent on the top of my head but I think the sound is worth it.

Some people have gotten the RS-1 headband and used that on the lower models. I have a pair of 325s and thing they are good enough. Might figure something out in the future but I have been using them fine for a few years.

May 27, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 22
If he's using a portable, and you want good tight bass, go for the Senn HD 25-1. Similar sonic signature to the SR-60/80.

May 27, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 22
I'd skip the sr60 and go for the ms-1. The sr60 was just way too thin, and highs were ..dare I say.. grating. It's a well and truly painful experience and will lead to more Advil useage. I've said many times before, but I try warn people now to stay away from the sr60.

The bass of the ms-1 has so much more depth and slam it's not funny. I've never heard hip-hop sound so thin than on the sr60. But the bass of the ms-1 it's not at the expense of everything else. Do him a favor and go for the ms-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 22
Portapros?????

May 28, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 22
A pair of Grados would be great, IMHO
rs1smile.gif

-kaitsuburi

May 28, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 22
Graduation is a big deal, and worthy of more than just Portapros or Sony ex71's.
tongue.gif

I can't stress enough how much of a leap the ms-1's are from the sr60's, especially for his type of music. And the price isn't so much more, and includes shipping.

But if you can't afford it, then yeah, I'd go for the Portapros or the Sennheiser HD497 before I went for the sr60s.

May 28, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Portapros?????

i think this is a better idea too. for casual listener, its good to have portability, comfort, and doesnt risk them disliking the grado's wierd design. but if he's all about the sound, than grado is a great sound.

May 28, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
If he's using a portable, and you want good tight bass, go for the Senn HD 25-1. Similar sonic signature to the SR-60/80.

The HD25-1 is great isn't it?
600smile.gif

May 28, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 22
Hey folks,

No, he doesn't need closed cans. He's living in a single efficiency apt. next year. Next, Grado comfort--nothing I can do, short of buying them for him. My hometown is out in the boonies, there is no conceivable way he could try them. Finally, I'd like to limit my budget to about the price of the SR-60s, at $70 or so. I'd rather not stretch that to $100 for the MS-1, unless its just a huge improvement.

May 28, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 22
For her graduation, I bought my niece some ATH-A500s and she absolutely loves them. They're comfy, provide a nice balanced sound, and are about $100 bucks at audiocubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back