Headphone gift suggestion, drumline music, <$100
Jul 9, 2007 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

santiu

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a present for my friend and was thinking of getting him some headphones. He really likes listening to drumline and marching-band music, so I'm looking for headphones that would work well with that high-impact and deep bass. Need easy to drive cans as they won't have a dedicated amp. Also hoping to keep it under $100.

I was thinking about some SR-60's as I think they'd work well with such live/animated music (although possibly a bit fatiguing), but I don't think they'd have much presence for the bass hits.

thanks for any suggestions
lambda.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
SR60, HD485, AT A500, K81DJ's, these are all good.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
open - HD495

HD-495s are discontinued and when they did make them, they were hard to drive and thin sounding out of portable sources. Maybe you meant the HD-485? Those are described as bass-heavy, very warm, and very smooth. I think those would be very good for listening to that kind of music, but I haven't ever heard them. They sell for $89.95USD on Headroom

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I find the HD495?

Right now i'm trying to choose between a pair of SR-60's, K81DJ's, and MDR-V6's. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I would go with the HD-485 over the MDR-V6 and the K81DJ's. The SR-60's slaughter those two for overall music listening, IMO. The SR-60's just don't have the bass depth that might be beneficial for the type of music your friend is going to be listening to.

If you decide that he MUST have a closed headphone, I would then consider the V6 and K81DJ.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 8
AT ES7, buy.com has them for $99.99 w/ $10 google checkout savings and free shipping.
ES7 > HD485

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 8
For that price, I really like the bass on the Equation RP21, very tight and not boomy.

However, if you want a more open and airy sound, you should definitely look into SR80 or HD485 to use without amp. SR80 has very tight and impactful bass especially compared to SR60; however, they can be too bright fro some people..
The HD485 on the other hand, is warm and a little boomy. Some EQing will definitely help.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Are you kidding? DEFINITELY the PX100. Well, obviously I have very strong feelings about this because for drumline music (and drumline music only) I prefer my PX100 over my HD650. Honest. I can't imagine anything else under $100 that would come even close to the PX100 for drumline. In fact, the only other headphone (and I've heard a few) that does it better is the L3000, which costs, well, $3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back