Headphone Gift Advice
Feb 8, 2007 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FooTemps

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I'm buying my buddy an amp and some cans for his birthday / Christmas gift... The deal is that I'm limiting myself to around 160 and have decided on a few of the better possibilities to get him when it actually comes to the cans.

To give a little background, my friend has been doing music related things for about 11 years now. He mainly sings so he is very familiar with good sound due to his experience with recordings. But there is a catch, the guy has no experience with gear outside of the studio. (He likes some Bose stuff, but they tend to be things that sound better in their lineups.) I'd like to get him started off on the right foot so please keep in mind I want to leave a good impression that'll ween him off Bose.
  1. Senn HD580: due to the open nature, it would be hard to use as a mobile setup. Not to mention it would look rather silly seeing him walking around with them on. He would definitely appreciate the sound though. How's the leakage on these?
  2. ATH A700: due to the closed nature, I figured it would be easier for him to use as a mobile. Still would look a little silly, but he would probably appreciate the isolation.

Now as you can see, I haven't decided on the open vs closed debate yet. But considering factors aside from isolation, I'm considering the HD580s over the A700s. Wanna throw out some more ideas my direction?

And for amps I have no clue. Most likely it will have to be a cmoy since there won't be much money left over (roughly 30 which could land a cmoy shipped if I'm lucky)

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 7
I want to start him off on full size cans. If I drop some IEMs on him he might have some problems adapting to the different sound signature since he does have a fairly clear idea of what he likes. I'd prefer for him to find more out on his own so I don't screw things up for him. He did like the Grado house sound a little but he did have some problems with the comfort and said that while it sounded great, it wasn't what he was looking for.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, would he be using these cans as a mobile?

Depends on your definition of mobile. I'd say that he'd use it in the library or bus but he'd also use it in his apartment or at his girlfriend's place. So a can who can dual purpose as main and mobile would be the best. I was also looking at the AT ES7. I figure a main listening rig would be a higher priority over portability though, but I still need to consider portability.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 7
How about a pair of DT770-80's? They offer the great sound of a full sized can, comfort of an open pair, and the isolation of a closed pair. They can be used somewhat portably, and are great as a main listening phone. The only thing may be the price. At about $150 shipped, it could possibly set you off getting him an amp.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a pair of DT770-80's? They offer the great sound of a full sized can, comfort of an open pair, and the isolation of a closed pair. They can be used somewhat portably, and are great as a main listening phone. The only thing may be the price. At about $150 shipped, it could possibly set you off getting him an amp.

Where the heck do you get them 150 shipped?

(btw: I have to buy these new too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back