Headphone Gallery & Archive
Dec 16, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
I was browsing through the "Headphone Gallery & Archive" website and noticed something very familiar.

the last picture on this page:
http://www.warzone.org/headphones/display.php?id=163

looks suprisingly similar to a picture in my photo storage doesn't it:
http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...cat=501&page=5

I wasn't notified of this and don't like how whoever maintains that site is using my picture without permission or credit.
mad.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 22
Looks like all that person did was a quick google search, and then felt the need to publish those results without notifying the person who took the pictures. I'd send them a nice email
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 22
I already sent them an e-mail....

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 22
Hey there, just sent you a response email.

Like I stated in the email, several pictures were given to me by various board members, and I assumed they were either taken with permission, or obviously not copyrighted.

And again, my site is out there to helpful and informative, I can't make any money off of headphone images and specifications, and I wouldn't really want to.

I'm also a graphic designer and avid photographer, so I completely respect anyone's wishes not to have their photos displayed on an informational website. I've emailed several board members asking permission to use their photos, and also if he or she would want credit for them on my website.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 22
I looked through most of the gallery and saw many photos I've seen here before.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 22
are photos hosted at the head-fi storage site / other web photo storage sites / anything of that nature, copyrighted or have some similar protection? just curious now that aphex944 brought it up.

thanks for the prompt reply and action btw.
smily_headphones1.gif
really appreciate it.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 22
With the number of times my pictures have cropped up in 'hey look at my new phones' on other boards, I don't even bother to follow this kind of stuff these days. I'm represented in 6 phones there I believe...

... which is kind of a compliment I suppose, it means I can take half decent pictures
biggrin.gif
I put most work in the DT880 and it shows. Just go to that site... 5 out of the 6 photos there are mine. All the W2002 photos too, as well as others
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
are photos hosted at the head-fi storage site / other web photo storage sites / anything of that nature, copyrighted or have some similar protection? just curious now that aphex944 brought it up.

thanks for the prompt reply and action btw.
smily_headphones1.gif
really appreciate it.

Copyright is automatic. Any photo online is copyrighted as far as I know. We are not allowed to take ANY photo from a web site and post it on another site without written permission from the owner of the copyright. I guess most of the time we may not care that our photos have been used by somebody, but it's good to know if our photos are being published/posted somewhere else.

Dec 17, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Copyright is automatic. Any photo online is copyrighted as far as I know. We are not allowed to take ANY photo from a web site and post it on another site without written permission from the owner of the copyright. I guess most of the time we may not care that our photos have been used by somebody, but it's good to know if our photos are being published/posted somewhere else.

Nope. You have to file a copyright. It is not inherent. Well, depends on what country you are in, I guess.

Of course Copyrights have much more gray areas than Patents.

-Ed

Dec 17, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 22
Well, I read some more and it gets confusing but I'm pretty sure that copyright of photos is automatic.

Photographs and Web pages do not need a copyright notice on them to be protected by copyright law. All original works are copyright protected as soon as they are created. They do not need to be registered to be covered by copyright law.

Dec 17, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 22
It is the authors property. Start using electronic stamping though (putting logo on your pic) as there is not much you can do.

You can contact the company/site owner as well.

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 22
I added a descriptive paragraph under "How to use this site" that will hopefully clear up any questions that might come up about use of photos. I don't want to be made out as some kind of sniveling photo thief, because that isn't what this is about. This was originally made for the Head-Fi community(which I feel I'm part of) as a helpful tool, and I've never taken credit for a photo that isn't mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back