Headphone Friendly-Binaural? album I discovered a few months ago.
Nov 24, 2003 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
Billy Idol - Cyberpunk

In the booklet is says it was recorded with ROLAND sound space to be headphone friendly.

It also says that " the segues where recorded binaurally."

What are the segues?

The album has lots of special effects and is headphone friendly indeed.

Anyone has heard of it?

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 19
No way, really? That Roland 3D Sound Spatializer (or whatever it's called) is pretty high end, and yes, does always sound rather enticing on headphones. The entire em:t catalog was recorded that way.

Segues are the parts in between the main parts. "Transitions."

No, I've not heard the album, but I'm pretty sure I can find it for pretty cheap, so will pick it up the next time I see it. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
Billy Idol - Cyberpunk

Anyone has heard of it?

Absolutely. It's one of my favourite discs. I have it on MD, alas i've been unable to get a hold of the original CD. It seems that UK record store only want to stock the top 40 these days.

Anyway, yes the spatial effects on this album are amazing. Overall though, it flopped when it was released but that was probably due to it being a few years ahead of time.

The punk people didn't think it sounded anything like punk, the Billy Idol fans passed on it as it was radically different to what had gone before and the cyberpunk boycotted it as they thought he was trying to cash in on their new fad. Alas, they all missed out on a truly great CD.

I'm greatful that somebody else thinks this is a great CD
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 19
It is a great album indeed. I got 'stock' on it when I was reading William Gibson Cyberpunk books and it staid on my play list for quite some time now. It definitely sounds great on headphones and has allot of good sound effects. I didn't know about it utilizing binaural recording but it really has some great spacial effects. I even have a copy on my iPod... off to listening to it
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Trawlerman is Billy British?

I think he is...

Nov 26, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Trawlerman is Billy British?

Absolutely! He's was originally from Goring in Sussex and latterly from Bromley in Kent.

His first real success as a musician was with the punk band GENERATION X. He is probably best know for the slew of hits that he had in the 80's.

I think he now lives in LA.

It's funny to think that Billy Idol is now knocking on 50, just two years short. BTW, it's his 48th on the 30th November, just 4 days from now.

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Talking about British people I like this guy Oliver who has a show they play here in Greece which is callewd "Oliver's Twist" and this guy cooks various recipes which all seem delicious. Anyone seen it and like it to?

Billy Idol, I like him a lot yet I think its pretty kitsch to still at almost 50 after so many years do this fist thing gesture he does on stage. I saw a live concert on MTV where he was singing all his old songs and explaining them. I also dont understand why Idol used electronic drums so much. Maybe he was indeed ahead of his time. I like him.

I still wonder how his hair still hasnt fallen off after all these years of blond dye.

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I still wonder how his hair still hasnt fallen off after all these years of blond dye.

biggrin.gif
That's great.

I too really like Billy Idol. I was not a big fan of his music during the 80's for some reason but as i've gotten older my interest in music has diversified immensely and I now enjoy all his albums.

I picked up a 12" picture disc of Billy a while back....

PICT0035.JPG

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 19
nice LP!

I though that picture discs are usually bought by collectors only for staring at and not really to play back. Does the picture affect the sound quality?

Trawlerman what TT is this you got?

And also what are these little brushes i see in your pic on the table?

I have some too from an inherited TT but I dont know what they are for.

Nov 28, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

nice LP!

I though that picture discs are usually bought by collectors only for staring at and not really to play back. Does the picture affect the sound quality?

Trawlerman what TT is this you got?

And also what are these little brushes i see in your pic on the table?

I have some too from an inherited TT but I dont know what they are for.

Yeah, the Billy Idol LP is nice to look at. The sound quality of these picture discs doesn't really detract any from normal LPs, or certainly not to my ears. To be honest I rarely play 12" LPs as they mostly run at 45rpm and it's a real pain to switch speeds on my decks so they tend to be more ornamental than anything else.

I have a whole bunch of Pat Benatar picture discs that are much better to look at though. Especially the one where she's dressed all in red leather.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

The TT in the picture is a Rega Planar 3 with an RB300 arm and Sumiko Blue Point MC. The little brush that you see was supplied with an Ortofon Cart that I have on my other deck. It's used (extremely carefully) for keeping the build up of dust down on the cartridge.

The Grado's are a really fine pair of can's. They have a forthright sound that I like. Kind of like the sound that one gets from Rega/Naim/Linn equipment. Of all my can's they probably get the most use. Right now they are in my room as I was listening to some Sinatra in bed earlier in the week.

Nov 28, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Hi TRawlerman,
please tell me the following.

I know u had experience with the Project 1.2 TT. Tell me more about it and if u know how it compares with low end new Thorenses (TD-190)

Tell me about these aspects that concern me the most

Record wear that the arm causes (I have a 0,75g Stanton 881s cartridge).

How silent it is?

Reliability .

And if the sound is good.

I want something decent that sounds decent costs reasonable amounts that could replace my Thorens TD-150 whose motor broke.

Any other suggestions for good + cheap under $350 that fulfil my criteria (Record Wear minimized-Reliability-Decent sound-better than your average CDP ...)

Where do they make Pro-jects?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back