Headphone for Trance/House/EDM recommendation
Jul 31, 2009 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

erhan28

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. You are all probably reading this and saying "God! another recommendation thread."
I have read multiple threads and stickies and can't seem to get a nice answer.
If you are willing to share some opinions I would greatly appreciated it.
I am a big EDM fan. I listen to it all day.
I want a headphone that provides great sound to my taste in music. I currently have a SENNHEISER CX300B in ear headphone. ( i bought them when they first came out and like them.)
I want a headphone that goes over/around ear and something that does not disturb anyone. I also don't want to carry an amp.
As mentioned in previous threads, I will be listen to either 320kbps or losses wav.

My music tastes are Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, Andy Moor....etc
My type of music has sounds from all KHz ranges. I love nice loud but tight bass. I also need to hear those high points with high fidelity.
Here are some links to youtube of songs i listen to.

YouTube - Andy Moor - Faces (This is my current fav.)
YouTube - Deadmau5 - Somtimes Things Get, Whatever [High Quality] (great bass)
YouTube - Calvin Harris I'm Not Alone HQ OFFICIAL VIDEO No Remix with lyrics (great song)

I want to spend somewhere around $120 (can be more for the right earphone) For some reason like Sennheiser's quality but i dont have to have them.
Any suggestions would be great.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by erhan28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol almost every post you say ultrasone.
Any particular model?
Thanks

Each models have a little different sound to offer you. I like most of Models maybe except the 750 / 2500, too aggressive for me this days. As well you can check out the GMP 8.35 D Monitor.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 15
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the M-Audio Q40 would do fine I would think.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the M-Audio Q40 would do fine I would think.

I like the features and looks of the M-audio.

Does anyone know a store where i can go and try these products.
I live in orlando so if anyones knows a place here that would be great.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 15
Ultrasone HFI 2200, the only sone that can be run from an ipod.
Or the Denon D1001

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 15
and a protip, if you live in a quite small country where its impossible to get headphones, just buy whatever the hell you want. you can prolly pass it on to a friend or put it on a local selling site for your country and get more for it used than you payed for it really^^;

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and a protip, if you live in a quite small country where its impossible to get headphones, just buy whatever the hell you want. you can prolly pass it on to a friend or put it on a local selling site for your country and get more for it used than you payed for it really^^;

Thanks for the tip but I don't think that would work in my small country.
smily_headphones1.gif

.... I live in Florida, USA.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 15
Just a note. My brother has the Denon D1001 and I'm not that big of a fan.

It sounds good in clarity but really lacks the bass.

I guess the fact that the in ear phones are in your ear canal give you more bass.

My sammy mp3 player is nice on output. It puts more output than normal mp3's.
I read they are 20mW/CH output. However, I do have to turn them down on volume.
PS with the prices of portable amps, I dont think they interest me much.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 15
I sent a PM a while ago to AnalogBox. He also owns Ultrasones, and this what he had to say about trance music when I asked him about the 580 vs 780:

"Keep in mind that 580's are an almost identical deviation from DJ1's that Ultrasones offer so they have the advantage on Trance music as they're designed for it in the first place"

In other words, the 580s sound like a good solution for you. I demo'd the 580 and 780 at the store, and I've felt that the 580 has more oomph for bass (it was after all meant for bassists). So I'd recommend the 580.

I've also demo'd the Denon D1001s. They are by far the most comfortable headphones IMO, but their sound and stage presence is severely lacking compared to the Ultrasones IMO.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 15
If you do like bass, then the Q40s are definitely worth a look though. Also might be worth checking the portapros if you wanna spend a (good) bit less.

EDIT: Good idea to read the original post.
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 15
For really deep lows and crystal clear highs you want Ultrasones, nothing comes close for electronica. I listen to a lot of the same music, I have 'Random Album Title' by Deadmau5, absolutely luscious sounds, deep sub-woofer like bass that doesn't interfere with the fun factor of the forward treble and auroral highs. That said you are going to be looking at spending more than $125, if you want deep controlled bass you will need an amplifier of some sorts.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 15
listening to the massive bass in akon's records through ultrasone 780's makes my eyes buzz..... amazing headphones.
but they are big and heavy and not very portable. i dont leave the house with mine anymore unless i have a bag with me, and the 10ft of cable isnt exactly portable either.
and they can be run from an ipod classic 5th gen and sound pretty good doing it. they benefit from an amp (i have ibasso D10) but really its not a $300 improvement over the 5th gen ipod headphone out.
what is your media source?

and yeah, avoid the D1001. no good for you. auditioned them yesterday, dull as ditch water, and about as muddy as it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back