Headphone for synthesizers (< 300$)?
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

voon

100+ Head-Fier
The last (and only) thread I found was small and from quite a while ago ... so I thought I better start a new one than go necro. I got several Synths, digital workstations like a Yamaha MODX, analogs like a Korg Minilogue XD etc.

I thought about a few things with relations to synths:

- Synths are a danger to some headphones, producing extremely strong, loud pure waveforms of extreme pitch or bass, which I assume can drive even a high end audiophile headphone intended for hifi music to an early death. So the synth headphone of choice has to have the ability to take serious punishment and survive with a smile.

- My synths produce nearly any sound .. they play all kind of samples and then there's FM and analog synthesis. meaning there's rich, loaded sounds, very clean sounding bleeps and boops, anything from the tiniest, soft metallic ting of single tiny bell in total silence, to the craziest cathedral full blown organ going for am audionuke blast. There's screaming analog leads and subbass loaded crazy analog bass sounds. And I'd like to hear them all to their fullest, clean and strong. I'd like both the cleanest rendering of digital, metally sounds down to non-muddy bass punches that make me weep with tears of awestruck emotion.

- Some studiogear (headphones and speakers) I tested quickly at friends etc (meaning it was recommended for studio use .. and sadly I can't remember the model names) sounded somewhat flat and thin/bodyless for me. While a cathedral organ came through clean and clear and well defined, it lacked bass and felt nothing like this towering instrument .. there was no "body", no clean strong bass from the lowest organ flutes.It felt more like someone was trying to label sounds with clear, readable labels, but without "presence". Sure, studio gear isn't supposed to be "fun" or "coloured", but I didn't enjoy that much, there was no emotion.

- I can play for hours ... they need to be comfy, nonsweaty and maybe lightweight etc. Also suitable for a bigger head of 62cm circumference

- Isolation is not important, can be anything. But I prefer if I can still hear the doorbell :)

Maybe someone here has experience with this and can recommend something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back