Headphone for Rap songs
Feb 2, 2023 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ShayzerPlay

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am currently looking for a good pair of headphones for Rap songs (Travis Scott, Drake etc.) and hesitating a lot. I don't really know what i should buy.

In my list I have these two :
- iBasso SR3 (600 EUROS)
- Focal Radiance (670 EUROS)
- Aeon Closed X (430 EUROS)

In term of bass punch whil maintening a good clarity which one would be better ?

I’ve already tested two headphones : Meze 99 and Focal Celestee.
The Meze 99 was too warm, it was like if everything was muddy with too much in the bass so I really didn’t like them.
For the Focal Celestee it was interesting, they sounded really clear, but there was just not enough bass impact/punch for me.

If you have some recommendations don’t hesitate to reply, i would like to not spend more than 700 EUROS on the headphone.

In case you ask, for the DAC/AMP i can buy an iFi Zen Dac v2 or SMSL C200.

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 18
Do you want the bass to be full with better clarity and less bloat than the 99?

Or more punchy and fast with some impact?

In either case, what's your budget and are you ok using a little EQ?

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 18
Do you want the bass to be full with better clarity and less bloat than the 99?

Or more punchy and fast with some impact?

In either case, what's your budget and are you ok using a little EQ?
Hello :)

For me the Meze 99 bass was bloated and, even if their is all the bass represented, it was muddy with not that much bass (for my taste).

I think that i would prefer something faster with more impact/punch while maintening a good clarity since i like to keep that aspect too (but i don't like when it has almost sibilance since i am sensitive to that). I tend to like a bit fo warm in the sound.

My budget would be 700 EUROS at maximum, 600 EUROS if possible.

In France i can also get the Meze 109 Pro for 690 EUROS i case you want to know, but i don't think it would be a good choice for me.

I could EQ if needed with PEACE yes

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 18
Hi..
I think that i would prefer something faster with more impact/punch while maintening a good clarity since i like to keep that aspect too (but i don't like when it has almost sibilance since i am sensitive to that). I tend to like a bit fo warm in the sound.
Given that, have a look into Quad-Era-1. Mine plays nicely with ZendacV2 for your music.
GL:)

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 18
Hi..

Given that, have a look into Quad-Era-1. Mine plays nicely with ZendacV2 for your music.
GL:)
Man I typed this and never sent it.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 18
Would i need to EQ to get good result ? From what i am reading, some people are finding this headphone good, and for some they are bad :/

They are at 400 EUROS right now

You don't 'need' EQ on the Quad--but if you want that bass impact, it certainly helps.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 18
If you listen to Hip Hop/Rap The Focal Celestee or Stellia would be a good pick too... So the Radiance should be along the same lines. I can't speak to how the Radiance sounds as I have never tried it. But I do listen to a lot of Hip Hop/Rap and the Celestee and Stellia were really fun to listen to for hours.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 18
If you listen to Hip Hop/Rap The Focal Celestee or Stellia would be a good pick too... So the Radiance should be along the same lines. I can't speak to how the Radiance sounds as I have never tried it. But I do listen to a lot of Hip Hop/Rap and the Celestee and Stellia were really fun to listen to for hours.
Sadly, i've tried the Celestee, and like I said, there was not enough bass punch to my taste :/

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Sadly, i've tried the Celestee, and like I said, there was not enough bass punch to my taste :/
Really now? The Celestee is easy to drive. I used my DX300 for context. I'm Not certain how much thump you want to hear/feel or which amp, DAC/Amp, or DAP you're using. That may be helpful to post as well.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 18
Really now? The Celestee is easy to drive. I used my DX300 for context. I'm Not certain how much thump you want to hear/feel or which amp, DAC/Amp, or DAP you're using. That may be helpful to post as well.
It was directly plugged to an iPad at homecinesolutio (an audio shop), and yes there was not enough bass for me :/ (sub bass and thump)

I don't own a dac/amp right now, i am waiting to choose an headphone before. If i do need a warm dac/amp i will get an ifi zen dac v2. If i need a clear amp i will get an SMSL C200

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 18
It was directly plugged to an iPad at homecinesolutio (an audio shop), and yes there was not enough bass for me :/ (sub bass and thump)

I don't own a dac/amp right now, i am waiting to choose an headphone before. If i do need a warm dac/amp i will get an ifi zen dac v2. If i need a clear amp i will get an SMSL C200
Amplification makes a difference. Even if a headphone is easy to drive... It still sounds better with proper amplification. Those Focals mentioned in this thread scale exceptionally well.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 18
Amplification makes a difference. Even if a headphone is easy to drive... It still sounds better with proper amplification. Those Focals mentioned in this thread scale exceptionally well.
Yep i know that :)

After a lot of reading.. searching…

I ended up with :

- Focal Radiance + Meizeu Hifi Dac
- iBasso SR3 + iFi Zen Dac v2

I might go to Paris next week and try the Focal Radiance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back