Headphone for monitoring and listening to music
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MCS5280

New Head-Fier
I am a newbie in the headphone world. Currently I have a pair of dJAYS and a pair of KSC-75's (based on suggestions from this site). I have been using them to monitor guitar recordings that I make on my laptop and to listen to music. They work alright (especially the dJAYS) but I recently acquired a MOTU Ultralite audio interface. I have been recording through the Ultralite and then the output is set for the built in audio on my Macbook Pro. I am experiencing a little bit of latency, and I have heard that the Motu's headphone output is excellent and experiences almost no latency. Unfortunately, all my headphones have 1/8 plugs, and the MOTU needs a 1/4 for headphones. I am looking for a great sounding headphone that would be able to run into my MOTU (I am not sure if it amps the headphones or not). I am looking to spend no more than $200 for the headphones.

Any suggestions?

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 15
You dont need special headphones. You just use a 1/4th adapter.

I wouldnt recommend any of those headphones for monitoring purposes though. YUCK. Try equation rp-21.

+ latency has nothing to do with your headphone jack. the latency you experience is related to your soundcard/audio interface. Most interfaces have a way to adjust for latency compensation through the software...

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 15
The hd25-1 is are very good headphones for monitoring... Or try some bd770/80ohms very nice too and mush more neutral than the senns

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Will these headphones also sound good while listening to music? I am looking for something that is multipurpose. The Beyer 770 does look nice...maybe I can find a used pair.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 15
Ok I have my eye on a used pair of 770's but one more question. Will my MOTU Ultralite provide enough power to run these? It is not necessarily a headphone amp so I am not sure if it will give the 770's enough juice

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, the DT-770 is pretty bassy. Not exactly the best of monitoring. Chalk up another vote for the RP-21. A clear, neutral sound with a slight nuance of extra bass. They're very nice for enjoyment-listening.

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 15
Yup goood ol RP-21's
smily_headphones1.gif

If you really want the 770's check my sig! I'm selling a new pair! I love them too, they're EXTREMELY ENJOYABLE! but I just love the 990's more!!!!!!!!

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 15
hd280 pro also is designed for monitoring. but if you can really skip buying a headphone and just buy a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor, the better.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Supposedly RP-21 is "flawed in the treble"... I'd really stick to V6 and HD25-1 as those are both portable, which fulfills the "multipurpose" solution.

I don't really think so. Some people think that the treble sounds a little unnatural at times, but I'm not noticing any of that. Either I'm a bad listener, or it's pretty subtle. However, it could have something to do with the pads I'm using. *Shrug*

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 15
OP: read the reviews for equation RP-21. A good monitoring headphone is just fine for listening, I am personally using AKG-k240 Monitor for the purpose of listening, and its great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back