Headphone for listening to multiple voices at the same time
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Smugsie

Previously known as Nec3
First thing I did was look for a headphone with good instrument separation.
  • DT 1990
  • DT 990 250 ohm
  • DT 770 80 ohm
  • AKG K712/Kxx
  • Hifiman 400i
  • Hifiman 4xx
There's this game I play called Squad where there will often be 3-7 players (male) talking at the same time and I found so far with the iSine 20 is that a headphone with really good microdetailing and imaging allows for individuals to be easily heard between each other. Any suggestions? I'd prefer a headphone that's relatively light as well, so heavy planars are out of the question.

I'm also open to used pairs.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 6
For me it would be between the AKG and HiFiMan.

I personally find the AKGs much more comfortable.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 6
Another potential contender would be the Phillips Fidelio X2HR / X3. Maybe not as technically competent as the AKG but they come up regularly when gaming and positional sound are the focus.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 6
From all the reviews I've looked at, dynamic drivers are said to have better precision imaging versus planars if that's important in this equation. All of those will probably do well at separation outside of that.
Another potential contender would be the Phillips Fidelio X2HR / X3. Maybe not as technically competent as the AKG but they come up regularly when gaming and positional sound are the focus.

Thanks for the replies! I've narrowed my search to an AKG's and Hifimans. I'm just looking specifically at vocal clarity and instrument separation.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 6
If pinpoint imaging isn't a must, I'd probably give the edge to the 400i just based on measurements, having a slightly more flat midrange than the k712 and about the same soundstage - which lends itself to better vocal clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back