Headphone for iPod/Laptop
Jul 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Alex123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Need some advice from the pro's about headphones pure for music listening on my MP3/Laptop/Computer. So not for gigs, producing, engineering etc. Budget is around EU 300.

At the moment I have Sennheiser CX 400 II In Ear headphones but i'm feeling like I want to take the sound quality i'm listening to a higher level.

Listening mainly to Hardstyle, Hardcore and Drum & Bass so a nice bass is preferred.

Right now the Sennheiser HD 25 is on top of my list but I've red alot of reviews about the greatness for mixing in clubs etc. This makes me doubt about quality for music listening via iPod etc.

So, which headphones would you guys recommend for quality listening at home or on the road?

Another question is will a high quality headphone like the HD 25 work correctly on my iPod Nano Third Generation without an amplifier?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Add the denon AH-D1100 to your short list.

I'm also a dnb fan, so I can asuure you they will serve you well.

They are "around the ear" but still considered portable. Very comfortable.

Great bass, soundstage and instrument separation.

An ipod or laptop will drive them perfectly.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Add the denon AH-D1100 to your short list.

I'm also a dnb fan, so I can asuure you they will serve you well.

They are "around the ear" but still considered portable. Very comfortable.

Great bass, soundstage and instrument separation.

An ipod or laptop will drive them perfectly.

Is that the only headphone you own and the only one you recommend?

The Senn HD25-1 ii needs a amp. A FiiO E7 would suit you.

Other then that, without an amp ATH-M50's would work very well. They are portable enough, have great bass and good for dubstep and do NOT need an amp!

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Actually, yes. It's the only one I have, therefore, the only one I recommend.

I usually do it when the person asking for advice gives me an indication that they might enjoy it. Those indications are usually their preferred music genres.

Usually people blindly recommend the M50s. Denons don't get enough love around here.

In the end, it's about choice.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the advices, will consider those.

Suprised about needing an amp for the HD 25's though, have red quite some times now that they are easy drivable. But they won't be?

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the advices, will consider those.

Suprised about needing an amp for the HD 25's though, have red quite some times now that they are easy drivable. But they won't be?

it depends somewhat on your source.

Like my Cowon drives my T50RP great, but on my computer they hardly pick up a sound.

You can get them if you wish and maybe get a amp if you hear any problems. But to me, it doesn't seem complete without an amp. 

Look up guides to find if your headphones are under driven. Best way is to raise the volume and if you hear static, they need an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back