Headphone for gaming
Nov 16, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 28
Heya,

What kind of gaming? Competitive online-footstep-listening, where sound stage and imaging are more important than actual sound? Or just a well rounded headphone for gaming casually that the focus is simply on good sound and immersion?

Also, do you already have a powerful enough soundcard or do you have an external DAC/AMP setup that is appropriate to deal with high impedance headphones (250ohm to 600ohm)?
Edit: Noted you have the HD Titanium (with a built in AMP by the way). Any headphone will run from that without much effort, so you're good to go there.

Suggestions:

Inexpensive: Panasonic HTF600 with Velour Pads (good sound stage, warm, bassy, great for immersion).
Fairly priced: Fischer Audio FA-011 (great sound stage, warm, bass capable, excellent imaging, good for FPS and immersion alike, excellent all around for gaming).
Mid-tier cost: AudioTechnica AD900 (excellent sound stage, neutral, excellent imaging, great for FPS and immersion, though not as bassy for immersion games if that matters).
Mid-tier cost: BeyerDynamic DT990 (great sound stage, bassy, good detail, good imaging, great for immersion gaming).
Mid-tier cost: AKG K701 (702, Q, etc) (excellent sound stage, neutral, excellent imaging, perfect for FPS, not as bassy for immersion).

Very best,

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
couldnt edit the post,I am also considering getting a HD650
and Im using the X-fi titanium HD sound card,no amp

If you want to edit a post, click on the pencil button on the left hand corner of the post, next to the red flag.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 28
You will want a pair that dont have ALOT of bass becuse after long gaming sessions your ears will be tired if you have ALOT of bass.

Secondly it´s important that they sit comfortable on your head.

I am using AKG 272hd at home and if i´m going to a LAN party i use HD555 becuse they let more sound in.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 28
If a headphone has a lot of bass, you'll more likely get a constant rumble from atmospheric bass that could otherwise mask footsteps and other important sounds.  I'd actually get the most bass anemic headphone you could get for that type of purpose.  If it's a gaming headphone for both fps multiplayer and general play, you might look at something more neutral, but still on the shy side of bass.  I'd personally get AD900 out of the three. Although I havn't heard AD900 and only heard 598 and 600 for music, I can say that I'd personally enjoy a more refined and warm AD700 for long-term gaming sessions.  For me the AD700 has enough bass for general purpose gaming, so AD900 would only better it.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 28
Note that MalVeauX is a basshead, and his view on gaming headphones is that for competitive footstep listening, you can EQ the bass down on a bassy headphone, whereas it's much harder to EQ the bass up on a bass-light headphone.

If we were talking absolute best for gaming, it's probably some form of electrostatic (Stax, Koss ESP/950), but that's likely more money than you're willing to spend (especially because they all require specialized amplifiers or energizers/transformers).

If the AD900 is basically a better AD700 (especially where bass is concerned), I'd feel comfortable recommending that without having actually heard it, since it should be...well, comfortable and easy to drive (no discrete headphone amp needed).

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 28
I have AD900s and they are pretty sweet for gaming.  The sound stage is really amazing and makes pinpointing where sounds come from fairly easy, they are really light on bass though and I don't enjoy them as much when listening to music.  However, I have also heard that Beyerdynamic DT770s are also very good for gaming, though they are very bassy.  I actually have a pair of DT770s on the way and am going to keep either the AD900s or the DT770s depending on which one I enjoy more.  It is difficult to pick a pair of headphones that is right for you without listening for yourself.

I will let you know how the two compare if you're interested.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Couldn't edit the post,I am also considering getting a HD650
and I'm using the X-fi Titanium HD sound card, no amp.

I do not believe the Titanium HD has a true built in headphone amplifier.
But the back panel headphone jack is rated for up to 330-Ohms.
Heard the front panel jack is only rated for up to 33-Ohms.
Wish I could find more details on the HD's headphone stuff.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
I have AD900s and they are pretty sweet for gaming.  The sound stage is really amazing and makes pinpointing where sounds come from fairly easy, they are really light on bass though and I don't enjoy them as much when listening to music.  However, I have also heard that Beyerdynamic DT770s are also very good for gaming, though they are very bassy.  I actually have a pair of DT770s on the way and am going to keep either the AD900s or the DT770s depending on which one I enjoy more.  It is difficult to pick a pair of headphones that is right for you without listening for yourself.
I will let you know how the two compare if you're interested.

Which model DT-770, Pro or Premium? 32-0hm, 80-Ohm, 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm?

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
Heya,
What kind of gaming? Competitive online-footstep-listening, where sound stage and imaging are more important than actual sound? Or just a well rounded headphone for gaming casually that the focus is simply on good sound and immersion?
Also, do you already have a powerful enough soundcard or do you have an external DAC/AMP setup that is appropriate to deal with high impedance headphones (250ohm to 600ohm)?
Edit: Noted you have the HD Titanium (with a built in AMP by the way). Any headphone will run from that without much effort, so you're good to go there.
Suggestions:
Inexpensive: Panasonic HTF600 with Velour Pads (good sound stage, warm, bassy, great for immersion).
Fairly priced: Fischer Audio FA-011 (great sound stage, warm, bass capable, excellent imaging, good for FPS and immersion alike, excellent all around for gaming).
Mid-tier cost: AudioTechnica AD900 (excellent sound stage, neutral, excellent imaging, great for FPS and immersion, though not as bassy for immersion games if that matters).
Mid-tier cost: BeyerDynamic DT990 (great sound stage, bassy, good detail, good imaging, great for immersion gaming).
Mid-tier cost: AKG K701 (702, Q, etc) (excellent sound stage, neutral, excellent imaging, perfect for FPS, not as bassy for immersion).
Very best,

I've never found a review on what headphone amplifier the Titanium HD uses.
I know the back panel headphone jack is rated up to 330-Ohms.
I've always assumed the Creative Labs figured out how to power headphones with out using a true headphone amplifier.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 28
I think the 598's are pretty accurate for gaming + they are not hard to drive

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
I know the back panel headphone jack is rated up to 330-Ohms.

These "maximum Ohms" ratings are largely meaningless, assuming that the manufacturer even meant them to be interpreted as such. Connecting a higher impedance headphone to the output should have no adverse effect by itself other than not sounding as loud, and how loud it is also depends on the sensitivity of the headphone (which can easily outweigh the impedance). So the manufacturer can really specify any rating it wants. What really matters is the maximum voltage the card can produce with low distortion (usually somewhere in the range of 0.5 to 2.0 Vrms), the maximum current (this is relevant mainly to the combination of a low impedance headphone and low impedance source), and the output serial resistance/capacitance. What I found about the Titanium HD is that it has a maximum voltage of 1 Vrms on the headphone output, and it can produce that also on a 33 Ohm load (at the expense of higher distortion), suggesting that the impedance is low. I see a 2 Vrms level specified for the front channel (not panel), but I guess that is the RCA line output, and it probably has high (100+ Ohm or more) impedance, and is not meant to drive headphones directly. The 1 Vrms is not particularly great, so it being advertised as a "built-in amp" is a bit optimistic, but if you do not need a very loud sound, then it should be sufficient for the headphones listed above, with the exception of the 600 Ohm ones.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 28
I have Akgs 601's they have a  really nice soundstage, they're a little bit warmer than the k701's with just a little smaller soundstage. I also owned then k701s earlier but sold them to buy the k601s.
A little roundabout untill im getting to the point,,--> K701s for gaming (bigger soundstage), but k601s are cheaper and will do you justice, i also prefer their sound, when listening to music, to k701s.
This reply was really messy and horribly written. My apologies. My 0.02$ for the K701s, though they may sound terrible driven through your onboard soundcard /-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back