Headphone for electronic & alternative, $500-$1000 range
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jeli2657

New Head-Fier
I listen to electronic and alternative music primarily.
  • LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk, Tame Impala, Caravan Palace, Glass Animals
  • Radiohead, Arcade Fire, alt-J, Manchester Orchestra
Beyond that I also enjoy occasional intense classical music. Very active, many instruments, very loud.
  • Gustav Holst: The Planets. Specifically Mars.
  • Stravinsky: Firebird Suite
  • Orff: Carmina Burana
  • Penderecki: Symphony 7
I currently listen with a Sony XM4. I'm generally happy with the sound it produces but it can become very uncomfortable after an hour of listening, even with ANC off. It makes my ears sore and hot.

I want to upgrade and get more clarity while retaining good bass punch.

My top contender so far is the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. Seems to be well reviewed with good imaging (may be good for the classics?), and importantly great bass.

I'm also considering the Audeze LCD-2C. There's a significant price disparity between the two, is it worth the extra cost over the DT1770?

I saw that headphones.com is clearancing the Focal Clear for $990, plus they give back a $100 gift card. I like a good deal but I'm slightly worried these won't be punchy enough. I still need a DAC and the gift card could help with that, too.

I found a good deal on a Schiit Jotunheim amp and that is on the way to drive whatever headphone I choose.

My thought is to find something more V shaped for the electronic music, and later I could add a second neutral headphone for instrumental alternative, rock, classic, and general critical listening.

Anything else I should be considering?

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the DT1770 Pro is a solid option for what you're looking for. If you're open to used, you could pick these up fairly cheap.

The LCD-2C is great and again, you can find it used for much less than $800 or whatever it's going for now.

Something else to look into would be the Hifiman XS at $500 new.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 6
I bought both the DT 1770 Pro and the LCD-2C. Plan to try them both and return the one I don't like as much. Without a local store to try them out this is the best solution I guess.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Blind buying is tough but sometimes unavoidable. If you continue onward from one or two sets of headphones, something like CanJam or a local meet up will save you lots of time and money.

Most reviewers aren't worth the time it takes to watch them. Here you can at least get lots of different perspectives.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 6
I never even considered an expo, what a great idea! CanJam would be an amazing experience, what an opportunity to try all the headphones available without having to spend $100k :dt880smile:. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm definitely adding it to my calendar.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 6
You're welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back