Headphone for Drum n Bass
Apr 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dean0

100+ Head-Fier
Thinks it about time I upgrade DT770 80ohm (see pics), whats the next 'step-up' closed cans? no price limit, within reason
icon10.gif

ps. I have headphone amp;
Darkvoice 336i + lots of mods!
Millets Minimax
Starving Student (in progress)

Music;
-DNB
-Dance
-Rock
-House
in that order!

Sound likes;
-Tight, strong, deep, punchy bass
-Fast dynamics
-Mids! (havnt experienced these with my DT770's)
-Not overly bright

dt770's
-Canare recable (makes big difference)
-Clear gel pads (Punchier bass, greater isolation, hot ears!
L3000.gif
)

DSCF1578.jpg

DSCF1580.jpg

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, I know it's hit and miss, but if you can get your hands on a K340 (I had mine headphile modded and recabled, which I preferred, but others like stock just fine), they would sound great with your set-up (the DV) and with your type of music. There are supposedly bass-heavy and a bass-light(er) models around, but I've heard about 5 pairs, all of which were pretty bass-heavy, imo, or at least not bass-light. The only drawback is that they are rather physically heavy and get uncomfortable after a couple hours. Other than that, since you have an amp that can drive them fairly decently (they love power), for a closed headphone, they'd be a really good and not expensive option.

I had the DT770/80s (also modded) and also used with the DV. The K340s have much better mids (gorgeous mids), are a bit faster, cleaner, but have less bass, though I wouldn't call them bass-deficient by any stretch, and it's a bit tighter. Since I'm working from memory, I can't really go into more detail without making it up, but I certainly think they're worth investigating as one of your options.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I know it's hit and miss, but if you can get your hands on a K340 (I had mine headphile modded and recabled, which I preferred, but others like stock just fine), they would sound great with your set-up (the DV) and with your type of music. There are supposedly bass-heavy and a bass-light(er) models around, but I've heard about 5 pairs, all of which were pretty bass-heavy, imo, or at least not bass-light. The only drawback is that they are rather physically heavy and get uncomfortable after a couple hours. Other than that, since you have an amp that can drive them fairly decently (they love power), for a closed headphone, they'd be a really good and not expensive option.

I had the DT770/80s (also modded) and also used with the DV. The K340s have much better mids (gorgeous mids), are a bit faster, cleaner, but have less bass, though I wouldn't call them bass-deficient by any stretch, and it's a bit tighter. Since I'm working from memory, I can't really go into more detail without making it up, but I certainly think they're worth investigating as one of your options.

thanks, do look very good for price, any other recomendations?

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the Ultrasone Pro 900.

ive heard that these are a little 'bright' , how is the bass?

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 with Fitz mod. It's got everything you need on that list with a holographic soundstage and pinpoint imaging to boot.

Yep DV fitz already done, massive improvment! tubes; tungsol 5998/sylvania 6sn7gtw sounds awesome, just needs some better cans to unleash its full potential.
Have looked at W5000, loves the wood! what the bass like, any comparisson to dt770?
thanks

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES7
wink.gif

Audio-Technica ES7? cups look very thin lol

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Yet the bass is quite deep and nice, I think these cans are simply made for electronic beat.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 18
Denon's d7000 is the way to go. It's bass is both punchy with a sub-like bass in the low end.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The PRO900s arn't that bright. They arn't much brighter than the HD650s IMO. Quite dark sounding headphones actually.
As far as the bass goes, they have more punch and go a lot deeper than the DT770s. They are just much better phones overall imo, but then again they are a lot more expensive. You could also look at the PRO750s if you want to go cheaper, but they are brighter and more forward.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A little 'bright' is good to keep the sner in beat. The HFI/Pro-550 are not as bright as the Pro 900.
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 18
The PRO900's are surprisingly bassy. If you like huge, out-of-proportion bass, then I might see you really going for the PRO900's.

While I listen to a lot of drum 'n bass and other beat-driven music (I'm a weekly DJ on dnbradio.com, in fact) ... I do tend to like a somewhat more balanced sound than that. (I mean the PRO900's are surprisingly out of proportion to these ears.) I use and love the Edition 9 and UE11 for these types of music.

I tend to gravitate to the Ultrasone sound a lot. They have great bass, and clean, detailed sound. I have the Edition 8's on preorder, and am optimistic that they will clean up the last bit of muddiness in the area of the mids. If you didn't want to spring anything on the order of $1k, the HFI-780's are probably a great pick, though I haven't tried them.

The Denons are pretty good, too. I've tried the markl-modded D5000. Not the D7000, though.

The other option for killer drum 'n bass performance, IMO, is a good, probably custom IEM. On the universal side, I might look into the IE8. (Triple.fi is clean, but lacks the emphasis on the bass, but treble instead -- and are largely uncomfortable and make you look like frankenstein.) Not SE530 so much for this music either. On the custom side, I adore my UE11. I feel like I have the best IEM ever with these. There are several other options, though.

May 1, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... the HFI-780's are probably a great pick, though I haven't tried them.

I've tried the HFI-780s both stock with little burn-in, and completed modded and recabled with mega hours on them. I hated both. I don't say that lightly. I can find almost something positive to say about every headphone, including ipod earbuds, but I really thought these were horrible: grainy mids, metallic highs, mid bass emphasis that wasn't pleasing though very present. My first and last impressions were that they weren't made for music at all. I know many people like them, and that's fine (we all hear things differently), but I think he'd be taking a huge step back in quality from the 770/80s, though the presentation would offer something different. If going the Ultrasone route, although not completely to my tastes, I think the Proline series woul be a better way to go. Since the op is looking for closed cans, he might want to investigate the 750s. I owned and almost really liked the 2500s, and heard the 750s at two separate meets. Both were better for music, imo, than the HFI780s. I struggled with the treble presentation, but admit the bass was quite nice.

If going the Denon route, I think the D2000s are a little too close in sound signature to the 770/80s, without any significant advantages sq-wise, and poorer construction. The D5000s are better headphones, but are rather "polite," which I like with much of my music, but not sure that's what the op might want. Worth checking out.

PS @ thread: I love my UE11s, too
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back