Headphone for Classical Music
Mar 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Through the awesome power of Google I found:
Sennheiser HD580 Audiophile Open Air Circumaural Professional Stereo Headphones (Original) - Sennheiser
$122.99 factory refurb

Priority Computer Parts HD580 Sennheiser HD580 Audiophile Open Air Circumaural Professional St
$153.74
Everywhere else is $190 or more. Looks like their price is going up.

edit: I should say everywhere I found , I just did a quick search.

ok thanks alot ill look at those stores

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 42
biggrin.gif
You're gonna be lucky. If you finally get these, please let's know your thoughts. I'm pretty sure they'll satisfy you if you're going to listen mostly to classical.

Regards

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by davisac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanks alot ill look at those stores

You're welcome. I love the 580's for classical. I think you will as well.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by davisac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any prob buying a Sennheiser factory refurbished? they only have a 90 day warranty

Not at all, I'd get it in a blink. If you treat them with care they won't need that warranty to be honored in years hehehehe.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #36 of 42
i am under the impression that both the HD580s and the K501s both need good amps to drive well to get optimal SQ. and both r out of production. i have a friend upstairs who has both the HD580s and K501s, but he has a high quality nonportable amp. i think u'd be happy with ATH-AD700s cuz they really don't need an amp. $110 at buy.com now, actually if u got the $20 off buy.com purchases of more than $100 if u use google checkout. it'd be a bargain for $90, considering how prices are raising nowadays with the weak dollar

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal3257 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am under the impression that both the HD580s and the K501s both need good amps to drive well to get optimal SQ. and both r out of production. i have a friend upstairs who has both the HD580s and K501s, but he has a high quality nonportable amp. i think u'd be happy with AT-AD700s cuz they really don't need an amp. $110 at buy.com now, actually if u got the $20 off buy.com purchases of more than $100 if u use google checkout. it'd be a bargain for $90, considering how prices are raising nowadays with the weak dollar

I can't speak to the K501s but I can the 580s and they absolutely don't need an amp. Yes they can benefit from better amps, but it certainly is not necessary. They even sound good out of my Sansa which is no powerhouse even by DAP standards. I think you maybe confusing them with HD650s. I have a Gilmore lite and the 580s do sound better but the difference between the Gilmore and the PC HP jack is subtle to say the least. That is not just my opiniion, it is shared by many other 580 owners.

davisac: I wouldn't be concerned with refurb - I've gotten a lot of things that where refurbished and never had a problem.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #39 of 42
The Alessandro MS1 is an excellent classical phone. If you look at my profile you'll see I have several good classical phones, but the phone I reach for the most (like right now) is the MS1. It's cheap ($99) and if you know where to buy it, you can return it if you don't like it. While comfort is a very personal thing, for me it's much more comfortable than the HD600, AKG K701 or Ety 4P. My other recommendations are the Yuin PK1 (requires an amp), Sony MDR-F1, the AKG K501 and the $12 perennial favorite, the Koss KSC-75. Another good thing about the MS1 is it responds well to good amplification but sounds good even when driven by an iPod Shuffle. In short it doesn't need an amp to sound good. It's said the MS1 is the best bang for the buck under $500 and I believe it.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #41 of 42
I got used HD-600's for $180 shipped. Granted, the pads had a bunch of lint and hair on it, but a little cleaning made it look rather better. I highly recommend these cans for classical music as you won't have the nagging feeling wondering if there are better classical headphones out there because these sound incredible.

There are better classical headphones than the HD-600's, but thats in the $1000 range.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got used HD-600's for $180 shipped. Granted, the pads had a bunch of lint and hair on it, but a little cleaning made it look rather better. I highly recommend these cans for classical music as you won't have the nagging feeling wondering if there are better classical headphones out there because these sound incredible.

There are better classical headphones than the HD-600's, but thats in the $1000 range.

The Sennheiser clamp. The HD600 is a great phone except they never let me forget I'm wearing them so I usually listen to more comfortable phones that may not sound quite as good. I have the same problem with the AKG K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back