Headphone for an poor guy with a turntable.
Apr 30, 2015 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spleenandcigars

New Head-Fier
I want some headphone that will suit my listening preferences and since i have no ideia how should i buy some, i'll list the stuff that i do enjoy:
  1. Over-ear.
  2. Preferably closed
  3. No bass/treble boosted, somewhat flat is better
  4. Confortable for a VERY big head (i'm 6.2" feet / 1,90 meters tall)

I have a Audio Technica LP120 turntable and will use mostly on that. The recommended impendance for it is 43ohms.
I'll probably use it on my computer for some music and movies as well, my motherboard is a  Asrock Extreme3 R2.0.

I'm considering buying a Sennheiser HD598, but it's a bit too expensive, although not impossible. Maybe the HD558 will suit me the same way.

What would you guys recommend having in mind that $150 is my budget limit.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 7
I will say that the hd 598's are no slouches, I guess I was insinuating that based on what I have, which is not sophisticated at all and sounds good, the hd 598's will be great. Maybe even better synergy. I recommend doing it.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I am big a fan of turntable, headphone listening. Even have been super impressed with my koss porta pros with lp's. A properly set up turntable will make a lot of headphones sing without much more needed.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 7

I will say that the hd 598's are no slouches, I guess I was insinuating that based on what I have, which is not sophisticated at all and sounds good, the hd 598's will be great. Maybe even better synergy. I recommend doing it.

I am big a fan of turntable, headphone listening. Even have been super impressed with my koss porta pros with lp's. A properly set up turntable will make a lot of headphones sing without much more needed.

For me, nothing beats a good vinyl record in terms of sound quality and experience. I had a Koss Sportapro and can't complain about it's quality... I have a Logitech g930 headset (ugh...) and i regret everything. $160 for a lazy quality and poor material.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Yes. To the OP, the very affordable koss porta pro's will also garner a great listening experience and you'll be able to set aside the remaining budget as savings to add to for an entire rig later. A good lp will do a lot of the work and make them sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back