Headphone Extensions
Feb 17, 2002 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Alleria

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'm in need of an extension for my Etymotics -- the 5 foot cord is killing me. I've looked at prices for extensions out there, and they are, um, *expensive.* I'm willing to spend the money, but I want to do better for that cash outlay.
Do any of you have suggestions for what *the* best kind of connectors on each end to use might be and where to order them from? Obviously, I'd need a 1/8 inch mini female and male, perferably of better brand than "Radio Shack, Inc."
I'm used to doing DIY speaker cables with hundreds plus dollars of connectors at each end, so please feel free to suggest embarassingly pricey stuff.

On the related topic, the wire that I'm considering using is the Kimber AGSS speaker internal hookup wire ($18.50 per foot from Percy Audio), or some kind of continous cast zero crystal / cryotreated wire from either Jena Labs, or Vampire. The Kimber is braided and has a reasonable amount of capacitance. Is that an issue?

Are there compelling reasons why I should not choose any of these kinds of wires? Or, why I should be sticking with commercial offerings that would probably actually be cheaper in the end?

Feb 17, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Hello,

I do not believe Braided Kimber Kables have too muc capacitance. Considering the way it is constructed, I think it will have considerably less capacitance than coax.

To be honest with you, I do not believe in saving money on interconnects. Unfortunately, you lose a lot of signal in cables. You do not lose much signal in amps. I built and use teflon insulated wires braided like KimberKable. (When building interconnect good shielded connectors are a must.)

Tomo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back