Headphone Extension Cables
Oct 5, 2001 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

evilcthul

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed that there is a general lack of info on extension cables. I started this thread to learn a little bit more about what various extension cables are like.

Please post what extension cord you are currently using/any that you have used in the past and your experience of them. A few short sentences is plenty!

Oct 5, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 10
I think it's interesting that Grado guarantees no sound degredation when using their extension cable. That must mean that it's made out of the same stuff that RS1's cables are, right? Since it would otherwise degrade the sound ever so slightly.

Oct 5, 2001 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

I think it's interesting that Grado guarantees no sound degredation when using their extension cable. That must mean that it's made out of the same stuff that RS1's cables are, right? Since it would otherwise degrade the sound ever so slightly.

That's would be right. The grado cord is your best bet for Grado headphones. I have tried it and it works great.

Oct 5, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 10
I tweaked my Grado extension cord by cutting off both connectors and replacing them with "Neutrik" connectors that I bought from partsexpress.com. The Neutrik connectors are excellent quality and very durable next to molded plugs.

Oct 5, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Grado 15ft extension is great buy. I went one step higher to the DiMarzio silver (very good connectors) which I like but I don't have Grado to compare it to.

The Dimarzio silver looks very cool with red/blue jaspis cable attached from Senn HD600.

Oct 5, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
I wonder if the Grado extension is UHPLC copper or just standard copper...

I think it has to be UHPLC since it's not supposed to degrade sound quality even when using it with the RS1s.

Oct 6, 2001 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Ya, I went the DiMarzio route too...the silver one headroom carries. I also have the Grado, and find myself using the DiMarzio most of the time because it just feels higher quality. I've noticed very little sonic difference with my HD600's, but there is some. Most notabley, the Grado is a TAD BIT warmer than the DiMarzio, but again, it's VERY subtle. Both are fine extensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back