headphone extension cable
May 20, 2013 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Moragg

New Head-Fier
I have some ie80s but the cable is painfully short for home use. I want a 3m extension cable for it.
I'm aware of the grado, but that's 6.3 mm not the 3.5mm i need.
I have 3 choices, and was wondering if anyone could help me pick the best:
Qed performance graphite, £30
I read somewhere that this is better than the grado.

Fisual s flex (mini) - £13.50 this is supposedly good, I cant find a bad review anywhere.

Loops extension cable - cheapest at £7, better build quality than the really cheap ones.

So yeah, any recommendations or comparisons or advice? I'm stuck.

May 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 11
May 20, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 11
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet! 
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 11
Lol, thanks, but there is no way (yet) i am paying that much for an extension cable. The three i listed are the only ones I'm considering. I just cant find any comparisons, so wondered if the price difference was worth it.
And thanks for the quick reply!

May 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, I can't really comment on the ones you've listed, since I've not heard any of them.  Good luck, I am sure someone else will come along and give you actual advice that you can use.  
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Blue Jeans Cable could make you a good custom 1/8" extension cable: 

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/audio/MSA1.htm

May 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I've had a look, those are £32 - even more than the QED.

Can you say anything about how much SQ is affected?

The point of good cabling is they don't alter the sound quality. The Blue Jeans is a well-designed cable for this purpose. 

May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The point of good cabling is they don't alter the sound quality. The Blue Jeans is a well-designed cable for this purpose. 

I agree 100%.  I've been using Blue Jeans cables for years, it's hard to imagine a better bargain.  They make excellent cables at a great price.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 11
I have the same problem, bought silver galaxy cable then realized I was using my IE80s through a 3.5mm extension cable that I took from my YAMAHA EPH-100s.

The extension cables from them don't appear to be too bad but it sort of defeats the purpose of buying a silvery galaxy cable if I'm going to use them through most likely some cheapo ones that came with other earphones. 

Did you end up finding anything? 

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 11
I believe Moon Audio does make extension cables from all three of its cable types -- Blue Dragon, Silver Dragon and Black Dragon.  Each of the three types has differing prices -- they're not cheap but well worth it for the quality.  I have all three in one iteration or another (but not in an extension cable).

For a relatively cheap amount, the Grado extension cable is surprisingly good, and you can just add a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter so it'll fit your needs (though an adapter does take a very very small toll on the sound).  For general purposes you might find the Grado to be more than sufficient. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back