Headphone Etiquette: People just don't get it -_-
Oct 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
I really hate it when people talk to me when I have my IEMs on. It's not like teachers asking me to participate in class, it's people trying to establish social contact with me in the library when I'm having my quiet time.

I have to take out my dap, turn it off, unplug my head from the IEMs, just to make salutation. This is extremely annoying. People really shouldn't talk to people listening to music unless it's an emergency.

So I'm going to suggest the Universal Headphone Etiquette Rule:

*Thou shalt not bother thy neighbor who is engaged in his/her music for purposes of socializing, lest his/her audio-phoria be shattered*

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 37
Avoid eye contact!
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 37
Most people don't even know what IEMs are. They've no idea that it isolates sound.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 37
Make the following:

Take a 3 x 5 index card and write F_CK OFF! on it with a black marker. Take a tongue depressor and tape or glue it to the card. Done.

When someone comes up to you and starts talking, simply whip out your new sign and flash them. Problem solved!
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 37
There are lots of fun, very effective traits you can develop if you want people to stop engaging you socially... ever again.
cool.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 37
Please list some for us! Just kidding!

I've actually had the reverse happen to me. People will start talking to me assuming that I'm listening. Maybe partway through the conversation I'll finally notice that they're there and be like "huh, wha?". So rather that getting exasperated at them they get exaperated with me! Quite funny actually.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 37
I just yell really loud, "WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I'M LISTENING TO MUSIC! I'LL TALK WITH YOU LATER!"

My biggest pet peeve is someone pulling an IEM out of my ear to talk to me rather than tapping me on the shoulder, I flipped out on a co-worker that did that to me once.

-Ed

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 37
The other side of the coin is the number of people with buds/IEMs in their ears who go into shops and don't have the common decency to turn down the music, remove IEM, whatever, when they are being served. It is being rude and disrespectful to others not to do so. I see this a lot.

cheers
Simon

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just yell really loud, "WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I'M LISTENING TO MUSIC! I'LL TALK WITH YOU LATER!"

My biggest pet peeve is someone pulling an IEM out of my ear to talk to me rather than tapping me on the shoulder, I flipped out on a co-worker that did that to me once.

-Ed

yah....that would seriously tick me off too. I would've loved to have seen his reaction!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other side of the coin is the number of people with buds/IEMs in their ears who go into shops and don't have the common decency to turn down the music, remove IEM, whatever, when they are being served. It is being rude and disrespectful to others not to do so. I see this a lot.

cheers
Simon

to me, that's like people answering their cell-phone in the middle of a live conversation....can't stand that

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 37
This may be bordering on blasphemy for an audio forum, but personally, I think that interacting with another person is much more important than listening to music. I know I find that talking to someone else is often much more enjoyable and informative. That's the whole reason I use open headphones when I'm on campus - so it's easier for people to get my attention and easier for me to take my headphones off to talk. To me, that's good headphone etiquette.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 37
my memory clicks again [groan]:

wear a sign saying:

I AM IN POWER PROCESSES [GRADE IV]
DO NOT SPEAK TO ME OR AUDIT ME

Laz
blink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make the following:

Take a 3 x 5 index card and write F_CK OFF! on it with a black marker. Take a tongue depressor and tape or glue it to the card. Done.

When someone comes up to you and starts talking, simply whip out your new sign and flash them. Problem solved!
wink.gif

I like this solution a lot! May have to try it, even with out listening to IEMs
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back