Headphone drivers
Aug 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
For full sized (not IEM) headphones, where to get replacement drivers?  I would love drop in replacements, but I know that is not going to happen.  Specifically looking for 50mm drivers. 

Eh, its an experiment and a chance to learn, so I'll take the plunge.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 5
A big part of this is that nobody really knows whats going to happen. It can be a fun experiment, or nerve-wracking depending on your perspective. 

To do it:
Most people "salvage" drivers from other headphones and put them in new enclosures. 

Every now and again someone will make an adapter to put a smaller driver in a big hole.

There are a few sources of "naked" off the shelf 50mm drivers sold just as themselves, but the specs for bass usually suck. I think this pushes many people away from these drivers although in my experience (which echoes speakers) the headphones (enclosure) can improve the bass from a driver a bit. Maybe they would be fun to play around with. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 5
So. I'm gonna buy a set and cannabalize them for the drivers. I would like to go cheap but quality. Any suggestions?

Reason for my question is I believe the housing makes a tremendous contribution in sound production. I'm going to put drivers in a casing that they were not meant for. Does it really matter? Or should I get good drivers and hope they sound decent enough? Decent enough to equalize or dampen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back