headphone driver - mixing up signal/ground?
Jan 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi folks, just a quick question. I just took apart my K240 sextetts in order to clean the foam out. In the process of doing so, the wires that connected the right side (through the headband) disconnected from where it connected on the driver. I soldered new wires back in but in the process lost track of which wire went where (i.e. I lost track of which wire was the original ground wire, so I might have mixed up ground/signal on the driver tabs). Is this critical? I'm afraid to plug the headphones in until I know that it's safe to do so. Thanks in advance.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 4
As long as they ohm-out OK its OK to plug them into an amp. 

Assuming they ohm-out OK the worst thing that happens is they sound truly funky. If this happens crack them open and flip the 2 wires on 1 driver. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing too serious should happen. Running signal to ground has no significant effect and running ground to the driver shouldn't cause problems as it is low power (just sound weird). I'd say keep the power to a low level on your amp/source and see if it sounds right (you should be able to tell immediately).

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Plugged them in and turned up the volume very slowly; looks (sounds) like they sound fine (well, "normal"). Yay! Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back