Headphone Distortion from ASIO in Foobar2000
Dec 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

incubated

Head-Fier
hey there. i recently changed my output to ASIO since i am using the M-Audio Delta 192 sound card. I couldn't really tell the difference between direct sound and wasapi/ks streaming except it was inconvenient for multitasking. With ASIO I don't have that problem anymore, as long as I boot foobar first, but i noticed static in my MS-1s. I thought the headphones were bumming out (they are 4+ years now), but when i switch to direct sound, the static is gone. I can admit that ASIO definitely improves the listening quality, but not with the static. I don't have this issue with my AV-40 speakers through which i am running the headphones.

Any ideas? Not all of my files are lossless. In fact, most are MP3s. Is it the lower quality of some files or am I pushing the headphones too hard. I turned the equalizer off in foobar, and listen to low-medium level.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Are you able to adjust your buffer size settings for ASIO in Foobar? If so then set them at a larger value (mine are at 2048 samples but a lower one would do). I'd also increase the latency compensation - I have mine set at 1024 samples. When I lower these values in ASIO4ALL using JRiver MC16 I eventually end up getting the issues you are talking about. If you can't make these adjustments with the plugin for Foobar then maybe kernel streaming might be the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back