Headphone Dilemma
Dec 29, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe my amp worked better with the HD580 than the D2000.
But I'm certainly not the first one to criticize the D2000 unrefined bass.

I'm a little confused what do you mean by unrefined? More specifically what does unrefined bass sound like? Please excuse the newbie questions I'm just trying to follow what you're saying here. Thank in advance for any clarifications.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #17 of 24
If the D2000's bass is anything like that of its older brother, the D5000, then I would describe unrefined as: bloated, boomy, overpowering....in that order
wink.gif

Also, if they are similar, I found the Denon's midrange recessed which - together with the prodiguous (and uncontrolled) bass output was a killer for most types of music.

The Sennheiser on the other hand (properly amped) has controlled, taut bass. Not particularly deep, as in the depth of the DX1000 for example; but textured and musical. I find it has a lot more mid-bass output than deep-bass output.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a little confused what do you mean by unrefined? More specifically what does unrefined bass sound like? Please excuse the newbie questions I'm just trying to follow what you're saying here. Thank in advance for any clarifications.

Unrefined: Lacking in delicacy or refinement (from answers.com)
Xenithon gave a rather good answer. Although I didn't think the D2000 bass of being boomy, it was not good in revealing bass detail. It has not good texture.
It started to show up when I listened to music and wondered if the bass was acoustic or electric. With the AKG K400 I also had, it was obvious. Not with the D2000. It was hard to distinguish the electric bass from the acoustic bass. That was a huge disappointment. Than the recessed vocals started to show, as the harsh and sometimes sibilant highs. Exit D2000......

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 24
I disagree with the above post saying the Denons have unrefined bass. Especially after a good amount of burnin. Having owned the DT 770/80 and the D2000, I'd say the bass of the Denons is far far superior to the beyer. It was much more 'refined' and hit deeper. Quantity wise they were even, maybe the 770's having the slightly bit more but the Denon's made up for it 100 fold with the clarity of it. I did have a lot of burn-in on them however.

Plus you can do some really good, well documented (markl) mods to the D2000 to even further refine them should you feel the need. You can even have them woodied.

They really are a fantastic set of headphones and bar none the most comfortable headphones. I think you'll be disappointed with the 650's if you like bass.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

I think you'll be disappointed with the 650's if you like bass

I suppose we will have to agree to (dramatically) disagree with the above
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #22 of 24
I'd recommend the D2000 only if you plan on "woodying" it, maybe recabling it (with a D5000 cable at least, all the way up to a possible Jena Labs cable). You could also "markl" mod yours for tighter bass. The D2000 is going to have boomy bass only if you put nothing into it.

Check out Lawton Audio for more information on "woody" options, cabling options, and mod options.

If you want to mod the D2000 yourself for about $10-$15 (if you feel a bit adventurous and/or don't want to part with $160 of course), you can find the instructions below. I'd explain all the benefits, but markl goes into much more detail than I will bother with here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...7/#post3847135

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unrefined: Lacking in delicacy or refinement (from answers.com)
Xenithon gave a rather good answer. Although I didn't think the D2000 bass of being boomy, it was not good in revealing bass detail. It has not good texture.
It started to show up when I listened to music and wondered if the bass was acoustic or electric. With the AKG K400 I also had, it was obvious. Not with the D2000. It was hard to distinguish the electric bass from the acoustic bass. That was a huge disappointment. Than the recessed vocals started to show, as the harsh and sometimes sibilant highs. Exit D2000......

lol yea I know what refined means... :p I was just asking for some more descriptive adjectives
smily_headphones1.gif
. Well my d2000s come in the next couple of days so I'll try to add some input when i get them burned in. Kottonmouth Kings - Bump (this song is stupid but cracks me up and has a couple of decent low bass notes in it) and some techno should help me with some bass tests
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oy. Maybe I should just flip a coin.

Can I go off on a ledge and offer another suggestion?
I recommend you order both the HD650 AND the HD25-1 II.

The HD650 are amazing cans in how balanced and smooth the sound is. They have a fair amount of bass to boot. I liked the bass output much better from the HD650 than my old DT770pro 250ohm.

Now, here's the part where you should start to get giddy if you like loads of bass. The HD25-1 II sound very similar to the HD650, except a little more detailed and with a lot more bass! Blow-your-eardrums-out amounts of bass.

Problem is, will you think the HD25-1 II have too much bass? That's why I recommend you get both of them, compare them, and sell the one you like least. I highly recommend you do this if you truly want to find a headphone that will suite your needs.

Most people have not owned the HD25-1 II, so these little things go quite unnoticed here on head-fi.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back