Headphone decision : B&W PX7 or B&O H9 3rd gen

B&W PX7 or B&O H9 3rd gen

• Total voters
Dec 9, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #16 of 23
How close are the H9 gen 3 and H6 sonically? Can talk about the differences? The H6 was my 1st portable can, and I chose and preferred it over the Momentums.
From memory because i dont have the H9 Gen 3 at the moment, i found them to be more bassy, neater mids and the highs were almost the same. but sonically to me, it sounded a touch cleaner. you could easily make out detail in timber instruments. I found while listening to classical that certain instruments felt too sharp? but thoes were very rare to come across, mostly with violin and flute.

For more modern music, they were excellent for what they are, comfort, sound, build and ease of use were all top notice for this price bracket.
That being said, it is a more beefier B&O house sound. which is why i like it, however, i do prefer my H6Gen2 slightly more only because a) i own them already, b) cheaper, c) lighter.
But, if i had the money right now, i would 110% drop them on the B&O H9 Gen3 as my new portable headphone.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 23
From memory because i dont have the H9 Gen 3 at the moment, i found them to be more bassy, neater mids and the highs were almost the same. but sonically to me, it sounded a touch cleaner. you could easily make out detail in timber instruments. I found while listening to classical that certain instruments felt too sharp? but thoes were very rare to come across, mostly with violin and flute.

For more modern music, they were excellent for what they are, comfort, sound, build and ease of use were all top notice for this price bracket.
That being said, it is a more beefier B&O house sound. which is why i like it, however, i do prefer my H6Gen2 slightly more only because a) i own them already, b) cheaper, c) lighter.
But, if i had the money right now, i would 110% drop them on the B&O H9 Gen3 as my new portable headphone.
Cool. Thanks

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 23
Am attaching myself to this thread as I am unable to decide. I currently have the Sony which are quite good on their sound with ANC on and connected to my Topping NX4 DAC/Amp. I need to purchase a new headset to use for my daily office work as the Sony are horrible on call quality (people on my conf calls keep complaining they don’t hear me well).Are there any headphones that are great both on calls and music (in particular with ANC on) as I travel a lot? I am thinking specifically on the Momentum 3. Another option is to get something like the Jabra 85h and use it only for calls, but would love to have only one ANC headphones

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 23
Am attaching myself to this thread as I am unable to decide. I currently have the Sony which are quite good on their sound with ANC on and connected to my Topping NX4 DAC/Amp. I need to purchase a new headset to use for my daily office work as the Sony are horrible on call quality (people on my conf calls keep complaining they don’t hear me well).Are there any headphones that are great both on calls and music (in particular with ANC on) as I travel a lot? I am thinking specifically on the Momentum 3. Another option is to get something like the Jabra 85h and use it only for calls, but would love to have only one ANC headphones

I use my Momentum 3's for conference calls when I'm not dialed in through my softphone and nobody has ever complained they couldn't hear me. I do have an office though so there is little background noise whether I'm working from home or in the office taking calls for the most part. If I'm in a noisier environment, it's a call I'm expecting to not have to participate in so I can't speak to whether it picks up a bunch of background noise or not when speaking. If you are in a more noisy environment, I would think the Jabra's may be better geared as those are probably designed for calls as well and will have more ability to reduce external noise from your call. I've had no issues with the Momentum 3's though.

I also used the H9's and never had a complaint on those either during calls. I did notice one strange thing with the H9s though. If I was in my office I could hear fine, but when I was somewhere like Starbucks picking up coffee where is was noisy during a meeting, I would get a ton of background noise in my speakers like it was opening the transparency mode but not that bad. It did that whether the ANC was on or off. My Plantronics Voyager Focus, BB Pro, Sennheiser HD1 and M3 all don't do that. So I'm not sure if that was a fluke or not, but if that is normal for the H9 when on a call in a noisy environment, that could really affect your decision. I found it very hard to hear when there was background noise. And for those who say maybe it was transparency mode, I know for a fact it was not. I turned transparency mode on and off many times to try to fix it. Transparency mode would significantly reduce the volume of the call where this would not, it would just sound like I was taking the call in a glass jar with a ton of background noise but I could still hear.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 23
Is it pretty much just the low end you like better on the 3s? I didn't care for the mids on the HD1. They sounded a bit soft and too recessed for me.

Not just the low end, the highs are better too IMO on the Momentum 3. They are very detailed and actuate without getting to the point of shrill. On the H9 I thought the vocals were a bit more subdued but there were a few times where I cringed from the highs being too much, especially guitar strings being scratched in "when the stars come out" acoustic version by Chris Stapleton on YouTube. Yes, I do like Chris Stapleton a lot lol. It may not seem like it, but I actually do listen to just about every type of music (even some rap but don't tell anyone...).

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #21 of 23
I use my Momentum 3's for conference calls when I'm not dialed in through my softphone and nobody has ever complained they couldn't hear me. I do have an office though so there is little background noise whether I'm working from home or in the office taking calls for the most part. If I'm in a noisier environment, it's a call I'm expecting to not have to participate in so I can't speak to whether it picks up a bunch of background noise or not when speaking. If you are in a more noisy environment, I would think the Jabra's may be better geared as those are probably designed for calls as well and will have more ability to reduce external noise from your call. I've had no issues with the Momentum 3's though.

I also used the H9's and never had a complaint on those either during calls. I did notice one strange thing with the H9s though. If I was in my office I could hear fine, but when I was somewhere like Starbucks picking up coffee where is was noisy during a meeting, I would get a ton of background noise in my speakers like it was opening the transparency mode but not that bad. It did that whether the ANC was on or off. My Plantronics Voyager Focus, BB Pro, Sennheiser HD1 and M3 all don't do that. So I'm not sure if that was a fluke or not, but if that is normal for the H9 when on a call in a noisy environment, that could really affect your decision. I found it very hard to hear when there was background noise. And for those who say maybe it was transparency mode, I know for a fact it was not. I turned transparency mode on and off many times to try to fix it. Transparency mode would significantly reduce the volume of the call where this would not, it would just sound like I was taking the call in a glass jar with a ton of background noise but I could still hear.

Thanks that’s helpful! My use would be (lots) of webex conf calls connected over BT to my laptop, occasionally dialled into calls via my iPhone (also BT) and than lots of music when flying (ANC on) and occasionally at home (when not using my IEMs) without ANC and in both cases wired to my DAC. Am very tempted to get the Momentum’s and sell my Sony.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #22 of 23
Thanks that’s helpful! My use would be (lots) of webex conf calls connected over BT to my laptop, occasionally dialled into calls via my iPhone (also BT) and than lots of music when flying (ANC on) and occasionally at home (when not using my IEMs) without ANC and in both cases wired to my DAC. Am very tempted to get the Momentum’s and sell my Sony.

I am on a lot of calls on a Cisco Jabber softphone but the Momentums don't have UC support so I have to use my Plantronics Voyager headphones for those. If it's standard BT and not UC like my softphone, you should be fine though. Sometimes I dial in from my phone just to wear the M3's lol.

I will also warn you that the ANC on these will not be as good as the Sony's. They work fine for me but I don't fly a ton so I don't care as much about ANC. I care more about sound quality and these are the best I've found in wireless BT under $500. The battery life on these is half of Sony too. Again, sound for me is first concern so not enough for me to reconsider.

I would still recommend running to BB though and testing them, as sound is subjective. I tried these against the HD1, MW65, H9 3rd Gen (both at BB and when I owned them), Sony, Bose QC35 and 700, B&W PX5 and PX7, and V Moda wireless and these were the top to me. I tried the Jabra's too for about 30 seconds and for sound quality they are definitely a step or 2 down. Reading through this thread, not everyone agrees lol.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #23 of 23
I am on a lot of calls on a Cisco Jabber softphone but the Momentums don't have UC support so I have to use my Plantronics Voyager headphones for those. If it's standard BT and not UC like my softphone, you should be fine though. Sometimes I dial in from my phone just to wear the M3's lol.

I will also warn you that the ANC on these will not be as good as the Sony's. They work fine for me but I don't fly a ton so I don't care as much about ANC. I care more about sound quality and these are the best I've found in wireless BT under $500. The battery life on these is half of Sony too. Again, sound for me is first concern so not enough for me to reconsider.

I would still recommend running to BB though and testing them, as sound is subjective. I tried these against the HD1, MW65, H9 3rd Gen (both at BB and when I owned them), Sony, Bose QC35 and 700, B&W PX5 and PX7, and V Moda wireless and these were the top to me. I tried the Jabra's too for about 30 seconds and for sound quality they are definitely a step or 2 down. Reading through this thread, not everyone agrees lol.

unfortunately over here it’s hard to test. No store (BB does not operate in Europe) has a large selection. I think that despite the fact that I do fly quite a bit, I can live with ANC being a slight weaker if I get great SQ and good call quality over BT in the same headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back