Headphone database
Aug 5, 2004 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know of a website that is basically a database of headphone specs? it may not exist, but i'm curious. I know you can't really just look at specs and know exactly what each pair will sound like, but numbers are useful, nonetheless. Wouldn't it be great if you could just select a pair of phones and see the plug size, freq. response, price range, cord length, open/closed air, etc. ? if such a site exists (i haven't found it) could someone please let me know? thanks
-AJ

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 15
sounds like fun. i'll see if I can dig up some time and write something up...

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 15
It'd be easy enough to write, but I don't think it'd be useful for me. I don't choose headphones based on any of the criteria you listed, except open/closed, and that isn't helpful by itself. Freq resp is irrelevant - according to that the cheapest headphones are as good as R10s.

So nice idea, but probably not worth someones time to do. Now if you had a few basic criteria like open/closed, cost, a basic description like bassy/detailed/smooth, and have loads of people rate the cans they own and use that to recommend headphones to people, now that'd be useful. I might even try whipping that up myself, except i'd need a host that supports jsp/servlet instead of just php
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
except i'd need a host that supports jsp/servlet instead of just php
frown.gif

> I was going to make a witty joke about jsp and then I noticed you wear cd3ks at work. word.

Aug 7, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Old age must be getting to me as I cannot remember the member who spent a long time perfecting a headphone and amp databases. Maybe Little_JV or something like that. It was on his website but there were numerous posts back and forth as he refined it. A search of old posts may turn up something. He really did a good job and it was very complete at the time.

Aug 7, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 15
not a good idea. like plastering '1000000000000w PMPO' on a cheapie boombox, published headphone specs are imo just marketing fluff. i mean, based on freq response alone, the ex71 (6-23khz) should be able to thrash the r10 (20-20khz).
wink.gif

fwiw, you should check out the independent measured headphone frequency response curves by a (my apologies, for the life of me i cannot remember his handle now) member here. do a search - you wont regret it.

hope that helps.

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 15
That's a cool site, but it's not quite what i'm thinking of doing. What i'm thinking of is a database of headphones, each one added once with basic info like open/closed, basic specs, etc. Then people who have the headphones would go to the site, choose the headphone, say how much they paid and what they think of it - eg bass, soundstage, whether it helps to have an amp, etc. Then if someone wants to buy a pair of headphones they could enter their search criteria and get a list of recommendations. It'd take a bit of work and i'd have to learn more php (I mainly know Java), but it wouldn't be very difficult.

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
That's a cool site, but it's not quite what i'm thinking of doing. What i'm thinking of is a database of headphones, each one added once with basic info like open/closed, basic specs, etc. Then people who have the headphones would go to the site, choose the headphone, say how much they paid and what they think of it - eg bass, soundstage, whether it helps to have an amp, etc. Then if someone wants to buy a pair of headphones they could enter their search criteria and get a list of recommendations. It'd take a bit of work and i'd have to learn more php (I mainly know Java), but it wouldn't be very difficult.

salute to you! that will become a pain in the neck as you have to update everytime a new headphones comes out....and besides, it's hard to collect info for some old,rare,non-popular headphones....(like old models of Senn or Sony....)

Aug 8, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
salute to you! that will become a pain in the neck as you have to update everytime a new headphones comes out....and besides, it's hard to collect info for some old,rare,non-popular headphones....(like old models of Senn or Sony....)

I'd let users add the headphones, which wouldn't appear in the database until an admin approves it. That way it'd be less work for me, and you wouldn't end up with all sorts of ***** put in there by people taking the piss.

Aug 8, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 15
Right, I think i'm going to take a crack at this this afternoon. Here's the use cases (functions) i'm thinking of:

Add Headphones (with basic details, not visible until approved).
Approve new headphones
Add Headphone Review/Opinion (price, opinion, open/closed/semi, bass, treble) - possibly also not visible until approved by admin
Recommend headphones for me (takes criteria and finds headphones).

Am I missing anything? Do I need a users system or should I just leave it anonymous? I have a user system set up for my website anyway, I could just use that registration system. It'd be a little more work but not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back