Headphone DAC vs My receiver?
Mar 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

peck1234

100+ Head-Fier
Currently using my AX-497 for my headphone DAC.  Would I benifit form a dediacted headphone amp?
How much power does my receiver put out at say

1. @ 30 Ohm
  2.  @ 120 Ohm
  3. @ 300 Ohm
  4.  @ 600 Ohm

Here's the spec of my receiver, I don't know if I reading this correctly, but basically its claiming 300mv @ 680 ohms?

So my 300 dollar recieiver is better than a http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 5
You may want to post this in the tech forum, as you'll get more expert help there.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Because headphone amps are able to provide constant power at those levels without having any significant spikes. Receivers aren't that sensitive and if there was a spike you could blow you headphones. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Heya,

There's really nothing wrong with using AV Receivers for headphones. Some of them are fantastic and great values. Some vintage ones are highly sought after. I've used 3 different receivers with headphones just to test against dedicated headphone gear and I found differences. I found most AV receivers in my setups just didn't sound as clean, I heard some jitter/noise sometimes, there was a hint of a hiss during silent moments (which I can't stand at all). Other times though they sounded just as fine as some of my dedicated stuff. It came down to the quality of what I was listening to. I found the really high quality stuff I would run through it just didn't sound as good, but the lower quality stuff sounded just fine of course.

If we're talking about the headphones in your signature, those don't need amplification. I would not make a big source purchase for those headphones. Those will run sufficiently from basically anything and everything. The receiver is frankly overkill for them even at low outputs. I'd be more concerned with simply clean, quiet, neutral signal (DAC) and quality of digital media.

Very best,

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 5
@MalVeauX Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back