Headphone, DAC, and AMP Questions... (Hi-Fi)
May 24, 2017 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Galm

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people!

So I live in a remote area that does not give me the luxury of Can Jams. So I kinda rely on you guys for advice and comparisons between devices...

I have a couple main questions.

1. I have HD800s and ZMF Atticus headphones right now. Love the HD800s, torn on the Atticus. They sound great but the closed sound kinda tires my ears out, and I love the stunning clarity of the 800s. Is there a good open backed headphone that's really clear but warmer than the HD800s? Mine are SDR modded if it matters. I've been looking at Focal Utopia, but the soundstage being smaller kinda worries me because I love soundstage and the HD800s rock at that.

2. I have WA7 Fireflies and a Cayin iDac-6 right now... If I upgraded my amp and don't really need portability is the WA8 Eclipse or WA22 a better choice? (Or something else)

The WA8s sound amazing for value (relatively) and wouldn't cost that much selling my WA7s. But I also want Schiit Yggdrasil if it ever comes back in stock. Seems like it's pretty incredible (does it defeat the purpose of having a DAC like that with a tube amp that's less precise?)

For reference, I have ie800s and pretty much love their sound signature. If something sounded like that with the clarity and soundstage of HD800s I'd be super happy.

Thanks in advance everyone!

May 25, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't think your going to find a headphone with the soundstage of the 800's. I would not call the Utopias warm in the least warmer than the 800's yes. The Yggy is great with anything period. If you're are looking at another tube amp have a look at the Amps and Sound Kenzie . I love mine fairly smooth in presentation still has great clarity and soundstage. Only heard the WA 8 on it's own.

May 26, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 5
I don't think your going to find a headphone with the soundstage of the 800's. I would not call the Utopias warm in the least warmer than the 800's yes. The Yggy is great with anything period. If you're are looking at another tube amp have a look at the Amps and Sound Kenzie . I love mine fairly smooth in presentation still has great clarity and soundstage. Only heard the WA 8 on it's own.
Thanks for the reply!

I take it you prefer the Kenzie to the WA8? I'm also considering the WA22 I don't really need the portability of the WA8, but don't want to tube roll a WA22 either cuz those prices are really high.

I'm aware Utopia is smaller. If it's larger than my ZMF Atticus I'd be happy.

May 26, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Yes I prefer the Kenzie to the WA8 . Not for sure about the 22 I haven't heard it enough to say. I heard both the Utopias and the Atticus and Eikons
this past weekend didnt really try to compare the two though so not for sure about the soundstage but I believe the Utopias would win on that as I've heard them on major setup that was truly awesome. Utopia , Cavalli Liquid Tungsten and a Chord Dave don't think I'll be dropping +20k on that setup but it was really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back