Headphone / DAC & AMP Recommendation (Use with PC & Phone) $~500 Budget
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mmike

New Head-Fier
Having not much experience with quality audio equipment, I'm here asking for help!

First, the kind of music I generally listen to.

It CAN vary, I enjoy many different flavors however I generally listen to Rock and the like.

Here are some songs/artists:

• grandson - Blood // Water
  • Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
  • Royal Blood - Most of them.
  • Metallica - All of them.
  • Tool - Most of them.
  • Locksmith - Nobody
  • Joyner Lucas - Gucci Gang
  • Pink Floyd - Greatest Hits
Most of my listening happens at my computer, however I do also listen to it on the go via my phone so I am seeking to maintain that ability. But I'm an awkward guy, so I don't mind an awkward setup. I just don't want to do all my research and decide between a few headsets and then wind up not being able to enjoy it to its full potential when I'm not at my desk. Like the Argon Mk III.

My budget is around $500 but, if the quality is there I am willing to go a little higher, and I do not mind purchasing used.

Within that budget I'd like to purchase a headset and an amp/dac that is capable of fully powering it while having its audio source either stored on itself, or delivered via my phone or PC.

*Edit: I would like an over the ear can. Open back, Closed back, Semi-Open, is fine. I would prefer little leak for loud listening in public spaces, but if I need to turn it down to avoid noticeable leak that is fine too. Dual 3.5mm connections preferred, but am able to adapt. Would still prefer dual over single for anything.

I have a 10,000mAh USB Charger I can utilize, and being diabetic I keep all of my supplies currently inside of a Pelican 1120, if anyone has DIY ideas with that, since I only need a small layer of the top for my diabetic supplies :)

I appreciate you for taking the time to read this and also all those who provide suggestions. Thank You!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 4
A FiiO X3 MKIII DAC/amp can be used as both a DAP and can be connected to a computer and used as an external DAC/amp.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones make good portables.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 4
A FiiO X3 MKIII DAC/amp can be used as both a DAP and can be connected to a computer and used as an external DAC/amp.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones make good portables.

Thanks for the recommendation! If you have the time, can you explain why you've selected those in particular? Not needed, I will trust your opinion but trying to get a feel for your attraction to them and learn about it as well.

Though I do realize I forgot to mention in the main post - I would prefer an over the ear.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the recommendation! If you have the time, can you explain why you've selected those in particular? Not needed, I will trust your opinion but trying to get a feel for your attraction to them and learn about it as well.
Though I do realize I forgot to mention in the main post - I would prefer an over the ear.

The FiiO X3 MKIII is the cheapest (FiiO) DAP that works as a USB-DAC/amp.
But your welcome to spend more for a DAP, if you choose.
I really like my ATH-ESW9, as a portable.
The Soundmagic HP151 (over ear) headphones, are a good value (got mine three days ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back