Headphone Comparisons
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gjeven

New Head-Fier
When you try new headphones and compare them to others, do you typically EQ them or listen to them without EQ. Seems like adding EQ to the equation during trying new headphones really complicates the comparisons. But I think some headphones really take well to EQ and are almost different headphones.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 12
I almost never use EQ at all.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 12
I do not use EQ, when testing or ever. If a pair of headphones does not sound good out of the box without EQ, it is not worth the money. That is my personal philosophy.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 12
When you try new headphones and compare them to others, do you typically EQ them or listen to them without EQ. Seems like adding EQ to the equation during trying new headphones really complicates the comparisons. But I think some headphones really take well to EQ and are almost different headphones.
I almost always EQ to make each sound the best before I compare. Obviously you can’t do that at a store or show.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 12
I (almost) never use EQ, I will preface with that. But I do extensively compare headphones directly, and when I do, I try to control the parameters as best as possible; no EQ, similar/non-upgrade cables, same DAC, same Amp, same song selection, and I put in as much effort as possible in an attempt to volume match.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't mind EQing to increase my enjoyability, few wouldn't like a nice low shelf for some more rumble or to kill a nasty treble spike here and there. My philosophy is that I am paying for resolution, detail, instrument separation, layering. Those are immutable, tonality isn't.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 12
I never use eq, after testing susvara, gave up testing HP. after testing H2 gave up testing dacs. Frankly don't test anything anymore

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't mind EQing to increase my enjoyability, few wouldn't like a nice low shelf for some more rumble or to kill a nasty treble spike here and there. My philosophy is that I am paying for resolution, detail, instrument separation, layering. Those are immutable, tonality isn't.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. 👆

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 12
I buy and sell equipment and when something comes in I never equalize to find out how it really sounds. I use an SMSL SP200 and Topping D10b just because it's so transparent, some people would probably like something more musical like the Drop THX 789 and Topping D10s which is the most fun pair I've ever had for engaging music listening.
You can always equalize later but I never do. Will take a good nuetral pair of headphones any day.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 12
If it's horrible to me without EQ, I won't try to fix it. If it's enjoyable but with some flaws, I will EQ to see how I can optimise the performance to my ears.
I found that almost always EQ can tickle out the last few % to make an otherwise "only" very good headphone an awesome one.

The issue with headphones is the resonance chamber being largely influenced by your personal ear shape. This makes all headphones sound slightly different to different people. There is no way for a manufacturer to account for every ear shape on the planet. That's why EQ makes sense to me. I can adjust for something the manufacturer cannot.

May 25, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 12
I never use EQ. Some people prefer to listen to headphones without EQ to evaluate their natural sound signature and performance. Others may choose to apply EQ to adjust the frequency response according to their preferences and optimize the headphone's sound. Experimenting with and without EQ can provide insights into how a particular pair of headphones responds and helps determine the best configuration for your enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back