Headphone comparison: Sennheiser HD700, Denon AH-D2000, Sony MDR-7520, Audeze LCD-2 rev.1 and a pair of Logitech UE6000s
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 36

Lastly, and as a shout out to @canali 

MDR-7520 - Here it is. The studio sound. Right here. Now my head is nodding and I understand. This is tight. While it doesn't have the rounded bombast of the UE6000, it has a lot more going on up top. On the verge of being sharp, but even the peaks of the 7520 never seem to hurt. It's because you can listen to it at a volume a bit lower if needed and hear everything. Perfect for mix engineers who need to balance out the bass lines, kick drums and vocals. You bring them all in balance here. 

Even though the MDR7520 scored lower sometimes, for what it does, it is indispensable. It is faithful, and works well for listening to all genres to inspect them. For enjoyment, anything that requires a bit more bass and the 7520 delivers along with audiophile clarity. One of my favourites. MDR7520 is the new HD25

9.5/10

Happy new year too! Personally, I don't think there is a replacement for the 7520. There are more relaxed and attenuated closed backs. But what the 7520 does, providing a window and close listen into your music is unmatched. Sony has made a classic here, alongside the MDR-7506 and 7509. This is a studio tool. Built like a light tank. Would keep it. Though it scored lower in some of my scores, I still regard it highly, as I understand what its doing.

If it wasn't for all this can churning and testing, if I was to keep two headphones, they might just be the ones you have.

HD650 or HD600 and MDR-7520. You have an amazing headphone for overall listening and reference. Then you have a headphone that can be fitted for portable use, studio us, DJing, close-monitoring, but a great listen indoors/outdoors. Those two headphones pretty much have you covered. I also think, that over the course of a lot of material, I think my opinion of the 7520 would be even higher, with its ability to reveal the source material. Force me to sell the D2000 or the 7520, and the D2000 is going. :)

thanks, man...when i tried them side by side (audeze sine and 7520 on my mojo a bit back)
there was a tad  more balance on the sines and not as much bass.
but on the other hand, the 7520 were much easier to drive than the sines...add in also being lightweight
makes them a bonus for being portable (though the oppo pm 3 did interest me too)

but you're right, too: for the price they're a good standby.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 36
Excellent comparison/review. I always felt that the HD700 had a certain airy musical charm that was missing on the HD800 due to an overly formal presentation. Can I wish for an HD750 that splits the difference?

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 36
  The LCD2 very well may be superior to the HD700 in certain ways, and vice versa. It's at a point where listening to one will bring an experience that you don't quite get with the other. Even though I added up my rating for the one session, the LCD2 could well pull ahead in the long run. And even if it does score a bit lower, it may be considered superior in other ways that are more important to listeners.

Listening with fresh ears this morning to both LCD2 and HD700. 

Electronic - BT - Artifacture

Oh my oh my! Thank you for introducing me to this.
Astounding!!!
Between, I'm jamming this on HD700.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 36
  You know, even though it scored lower here, I have to say, with some small adjustments they would score higher. 

Agreed, they do well and silly crazy for the current prices.  I do stress that all this goodness is with the noise cancellation/amp OFF.  Otherwise it becomes a bassy nightmare.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #20 of 36
This review made me want to give balanced a try on my HD700, so ordered a balanced cable from a company that's made a bit of a name for themselves lately in earbuds, and just started putting out cables.  I'm curious to see how it'll sounds with balanced on Opus #1 & Hifiman Supermini.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 36
Great comparison and review, thanks. I also should have a better quality balanced HD700 cable on the way shortly. I can tell I haven't been getting the most out of their potential with a cheap crap aftermarket cable. Looking forward to comparing it apples to apples with the HE-560.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 36
Thanks for this.  I have been trying to preserve and stretch my HD 700's abilities through various amps and cable combinations for the last six months.  Lately, I have been developing LCD 2 envy and was starting to see them as a perfect replacement.  This has helped me clarify the relative strengths of the two and I realize the LCD 2 belongs in my living room with the Jazz records and my Firefly.  My HD 700 is still the one I want in my office for my daily multi-purpose use. I appreciate the time and effort.   

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #24 of 36
  Are certain kinds of music best with studio monitors (7520, 7550, DT1350, etc.)? 

Hey @stalepie , I don't have experience with the DT1350, but have a years of experience with Sony MDR series 7520, 7550, 7506, AKG K271, Sennheiser HD280, HD25-1 II, all of which are designed for studio use. Realize, that many studio headphones, are wide-ranging in quality and frequency response - though they tend to have certain characteristics that are preferred for their applications. The majority of these headphones are closed back monitoring headphones, designed, well for monitoring. Monitoring in the truest sense of checking for track imbalances, specific details, tracking vocals and other live recordings. Typically, they aren't really there for mixing purposes. My experience is more on the listening side, though I have some engineering experience - enough to know if I was going to do this work professionally I'd want a treated room and some very high-end speaker monitors - alongside reference headphones and tracking headphones.

Of the headphones you mentioned, Sony MDR-7520 and 7550. The MDR-7550 IEM is incredibly good, and will actually do very well across all genres. Check out its frequency chart, its rolled off in the treble, but still very detailed. The mid-range is very natural, and the bass is among some of the best bass I have heard - IEM or otherwise. So, it goes without saying that this headphone does very very well at electronic music. It also will sound great for jazz and classical. Also, very spacious sounding headphones. But, its purpose is unique as its more meant for the musician either on stage, or producer on the go. Few are going to be using these for vocal tracking, just from a practical perspective as IEMs are less durable and easy to work with in the studio.

The 7520, designed by Naotaka Tsunoda at Sony, are quite different. They too have a ruler flat mid-range. They have highs that are very detailed, bordering on harsh yet never sibilant (unless that is what is there in the recording). The low-end it tightly boosted, as apposed to the gradual slope you see in other headphones, and in some ways goes above what one might consider reference or truly neutral. However, for a studio monitoring headphone, especially for today's modern bass-orientated music, this is very important. A studio engineer cannont / should not be turning up their headphones 5-10+ dB just to hear the bass of mix. With the 7520, the bass always cuts through. 

So for head-fi purposes, the 7520 excels at any music that needs a bit of thump, without sacrificing any of the details throughout. So electronic, soul, funk, reggae, definitely hip-hop. At the same time, because the bass isn't bleeding into the mid-range, you can enjoy a wide range of music on the 7520. For classical, they won't have the air and large soundstage of the HD700, but provide all the dynamic, along with timbral accuracy for each instrument - with the caveat that the low end will be accented. Actually listening to the 7520 right now Martha Argerich playing Beethoven and it is not lacking - I could listen to the entire piece on these and enjoy it. 

Similarly, the HD25, a headphone originally designed for Electronic News Gathering (ENG), broadcast and studio work, has an excellent mid-range, rolled off but still punchy bass, and balanced highs. To me the 7520 does everything the HD25 does, and better, with a larger more tonally accurate sound. Still, the HD25 is legend, and really it may still be preferred, not only because of its small size, but because it is a reference, it has a sound now familiar to many. The HD25 is fantastic with electronic music, but falls a bit more flat for classical and orchestral where piano notes sound lifeless. From my understanding the DT1350 is Beyer's answer to the HD25 and regarded highly.

the AKG K271 (the original, haven't heard the updated one) had rolled off bass, but a very unique sound, that lent well to piano, acoustic, but sounded also very well with electronic music though less for EDM ,but more IDM :wink:

HD280 is a cheaper monitoring headphone, and is pretty dull, but does the job. Clampy, and plasticky. Seals well enough, doesn't extend to the furthest reaches of the bass range. Again, a tool, not necessarily one listened to for enjoyment. 

MDR-7506 - used this and also a V6 for over a decade. Very very good, but not accurate. Was a bit sharp, punchy bass. I wouldn't recommend for general listening, but would be good for an analytical listen into electronic, acoustic and percussive. 7520 is truly its superior. 

As long as you okay with not having the largest soundstage, the 7520 is incredibly good technically for a dynamic. Even compared to the MDR-Z7 its going to hold its own, just not as relaxed and lush. It doesn't pull back on the treble.

Denon AH-D2000 - actually quite flat in the mid-range, these are a bit brighter overall, and bring out more of the dynamic from higher range notes. They are more balanced for listening purposes than say mixing/monitoring. However, they would be a good mastering reference in a studio. You wouldn't be making volume adjustments on them, but they would help in evaluating your overall mastering and mix in comparison to well-known references. They are a headphone that you could get quickly acquainted with to get more predictable results out of. The D2000 has just the right amount of bass in my opinion to listen to all genres of music without ever need more or less. Several times, I've listened to the D2000 as my more preferred morning headphone :/ 

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 36
Thanks for such an amazing response. I appreciate it. I actually have the 7550, but I damaged them, so I'm mainly using the DT1350 right now. I ordered the Aurisonics Rockets from Inner Sanctum the other day, which isn't a monitor, of course, so it'll be interesting to see how that compares. I hope I like it and I don't go back to my usual habit of preferring a monitor sound. I don't know what it is - when I had the T51i, which looks similar to the 1350 (T50p actually came out first), I didn't fully like it because it seemed like the frequency response was adjusted for certain kinds of music. It had kind of a mild bass hump and maybe accentuated treble. It also had sort of a "3D" sound to it, that I don't know the word for, but since no one else mentioned it, I wasn't sure if I was imagining things (DT1350 sounds drier, more closed in, less colored). It could be mainly the difference that the pads made; I don't know. But I did notice that this "pop voicing" (as I think of it) helped with some kinds of music, and I had used the MDR-V6 for years (yes, to listen to music!) but eventually I realized it wasn't very flat and had upturned treble - that becomes more obvious when using low output impedance sources, as I think the  bass blooms more on higher output impedance. (So perhaps on older equipment it doesn't sound so sharp and has a fuller sound). Frankly I wish that site graphs.headphone.com would use the "raw" frequency response data by default because I find it more true, at least in regards to this headphone. 

Since joining Head-Fi and reading more about headphones I've noticed how often some of these are used in the industry, like HD25 on ESPN or 7506s in radio broadcasting and when musicians play live for recording. 

(Although I don't think I've ever seen 7520 out in the wild. Too expensive. And is too creaky, too? They should fix that, if so.) (I wonder why it isn't sold in Japan? They have the CD900st, but not this one). 

The AKGs and Denons are probably nice but I find them big. I kind of look for smaller headphones. 

I guess I wonder if headphones that provide a more open, spacious sound, a more "euphonic" sound (LCD?), if in some ways they aren't more accurate and true to the music, or intent, of the musicians. Of course, I assume the manufacturers do not intend for monitors to be used for music enjoyment. Beyer's page for the DT1350 is in an entirely different category and is described as being used for "control and monitoring applications, musicians and DJ's." (I've wanted to know what "control" means). Do more controlled (restrained?) headphones make some music more listenable? Why is it electronic music seems to excel with these? ("and DJs" - if the DJ is wearing them while mixing live, it makes sense they may be appropriate and I know the HD25s are old standbys in this usage). 

I guess all this doesn't matter that much it's just something I've wondered about. The headphone companies usually put their studio/professional stuff in different categories and won't them sold separately. But the DT1350 honestly sounds better to me for most music in comparison to the T51i, and for some things I liked the V6 more than some others, like Grado SR60i, so it depends. There is a sense that some music doesn't leave the editing stage very far... more obviously with electronic music, maybe. So the most direct listening experience makes the most sense. But then maybe the musicians hate headphones and want them listened on very large loudspeakers outside on a mountaintop, or their favorite headphones are Grado and they hate closed-back, or they prefer IEMs. I guess there's no way of ever knowing. 

So much music has a beat to it, so it's seeming to expect a bass boost. It's interesting that even studio monitors like Sony's seem to provide that. (7520 vs Etymotic: the Sony would be seen as having a large boost there). Bass is interesting to me because I often hear it as non-musical. As a room-filling sound or space-filling. It thickens the music and the other sounds. I never know how important it is because the mind adjusts to it a fair bit over time. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #26 of 36

sony 7520
i've no idea why people talk of creakiness issues....
i've not had a problem...others do, so i presume it exist.
but not once has this issue appeared to me.
many on sale all over various used site, ebay, etc.

just listened to them again last night....nice cans...and for their price
they're a keeper...sure i wish the stage was more 3D like and larger, more 'speaker like' but 
in the future we'll have technology to help make it such.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #27 of 36
  Thanks for such an amazing response. I appreciate it. I actually have the 7550, but I damaged them, so I'm mainly using the DT1350 right now. I ordered the Aurisonics Rockets from Inner Sanctum the other day, which isn't a monitor, of course, so it'll be interesting to see how that compares. I hope I like it and I don't go back to my usual habit of preferring a monitor sound. I don't know what it is - when I had the T51i, which looks similar to the 1350 (T50p actually came out first), I didn't fully like it because it seemed like the frequency response was adjusted for certain kinds of music. It had kind of a mild bass hump and maybe accentuated treble. It also had sort of a "3D" sound to it, that I don't know the word for, but since no one else mentioned it, I wasn't sure if I was imagining things (DT1350 sounds drier, more closed in, less colored). It could be mainly the difference that the pads made; I don't know. 

I had the Amperior for a while, and similarly it was tuned up in the high-end and bass-range. It was a nice headphone, but the HD25 had the more neutral signature. So perhaps similar to the T51i vs DT1350. One is more for studio, and is less exciting.

Quote:

I guess I wonder if headphones that provide a more open, spacious sound, a more "euphonic" sound (LCD?), if in some ways they aren't more accurate and true to the music, or intent, of the musicians. Of course, I assume the manufacturers do not intend for monitors to be used for music enjoyment. Beyer's page for the DT1350 is in an entirely different category and is described as being used for "control and monitoring applications, musicians and DJ's." (I've wanted to know what "control" means). Do more controlled (restrained?) headphones make some music more listenable? Why is it electronic music seems to excel with these? ("and DJs" - if the DJ is wearing them while mixing live, it makes sense they may be appropriate and I know the HD25s are old standbys in this usage). 

I guess all this doesn't matter that much it's just something I've wondered about. The headphone companies usually put their studio/professional stuff in different categories and won't them sold separately. But the DT1350 honestly sounds better to me for most music in comparison to the T51i, and for some things I liked the V6 more than some others, like Grado SR60i, so it depends. There is a sense that some music doesn't leave the editing stage very far... more obviously with electronic music, maybe. So the most direct listening experience makes the most sense. But then maybe the musicians hate headphones and want them listened on very large loudspeakers outside on a mountaintop, or their favorite headphones are Grado and they hate closed-back, or they prefer IEMs. I guess there's no way of ever knowing. 

So much music has a beat to it, so it's seeming to expect a bass boost. It's interesting that even studio monitors like Sony's seem to provide that. (7520 vs Etymotic: the Sony would be seen as having a large boost there). Bass is interesting to me because I often hear it as non-musical. As a room-filling sound or space-filling. It thickens the music and the other sounds. I never know how important it is because the mind adjusts to it a fair bit over time. 

First off, there isn't really a 'true intent'. You'll see marketing along the lines of 'hear music the way the artist intended'. Honestly, that is marketing bull. Most artists aren't the ones behind the control booth, and don't really have the ears / experience for mixing / mastering. Some do. Most artist / musicians are busy creating, and not worrying about things like dithering, dynamic compression, limiting, EQ, side-chaining, mix levels, mic placement, convolution reverbs, etc. 

So what the mastering engineer intends, for most commercial music, is that the music translates as good as possible across the broadest range of preferred listening devices. Unfortunately / fortunately? this also may include Beats headphones. :p But even most peoples 'entertainment systems' are hyped in frequency response. Essentially sweetened to make up for their lack of dynamic performance. In this sense, using studio monitors, headphone or speakers, is like using a calibrated monitor for graphic design - something I'm even more familiar with. At least with visual design, I can be assured that most people have pretty solid screens and color reproduction with the many iDevices out there (Apple has been good for this). With audio, its a bit of crapshoot. From car speakers, to ear buds, to Bose  systems, the engineer has a bit of work cut out. And for the most part the work requires dynamic compression and limiting to squash those dynamics and increase the volume - heightening the perception of discernable sound, at the expense of dynamics. 

TL;DR - listening through studio monitors is closer to what you'd hear in the control booth, or final stage of mastering for the engineer. I would say euphonic presentations are trying to recreate a different reference, that of the 'real' experience. In such way the HD700 excels. It less close to the neutral studio response, but closer to the real-world reproduction within an environment. 

Bass reproduction is incredibly important, even to boost perception of tactile response of bass instruments - both natural and electronic. For HD700, HD800 it needs to be accurate, but they don't have the volume levels required to reproduce modern heavy bass music genres. So in actuality, they fail to reproduce both the studio sound and intended real-world/club sound of some of this music! The MDR-7520 on the other hand, captures both studio sound (with a sub thrown in) and a bit of real-world sound. Like I've alluded to, it is a bit of the real sleeper in my headphone collection, and ultimately may 'the best' even if it isn't the best sounding all the time. There isn't a genre the MDR-7520 will completely fail at. 
  sony 7520
i've no idea why people talk of creakiness issues....
i've not had a problem...others do, so i presume it exist.
but not once has this issue appeared to me.
many on sale all over various used site, ebay, etc.

just listened to them again last night....nice cans...and for their price
they're a keeper...sure i wish the stage was more 3D like and larger, more 'speaker like' but 
in the future we'll have technology to help make it such.

Hey Canali :)

Unfortunately, my 7520s I bought used (but mint) were as creaky as a pirate ship. No problem taking it apart though and adding a bit of oil to the gimbals. Amazingly, WD40 did work, even though I probably should have used another type of oil. It's been good for many months now, through heat and cold. 

As far as 3D-like. Unfortunately, to achieve this requires a change in frequency response, and spectral delay of select transients to simulate a room space. The very nature of doing this would ruin what the 7520 are truly designed to do. 

My D2000 are much more spacious, but now, not all the sounds are within 'arms reach'. With the 7520, all the sounds are laid out and represented equally in measure for the mix engineer to balance and hear. Makes an incredible listen :) but not very spacious. 

The HD700 are awesomely designed to create a sense of room space, no small feat considering headphones have no channel cross-feed for stereo imaging.

But perhaps you are right, in the future, new technologies may allow us to dial in complete HRTF and realistic responses for the music. In fact, music may come with this tailored psychoacoustic presentations from cathedrals for classical, warehouses for techno, small room spaces for jazz. i feel something that will push this technology is the advent of VR and AR. Those technologies require simulation of 3D spaces, and it only makes sense that it will be a media/experience that people create content for. 

Well, the closest I get right now is HD700 playing Battlefield 1, incredibly immersive :)

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #28 of 36
the future of headphones pt 2 by Ty of Innerfidelity
...note this is from 2012, however.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/future-headphones-part-two

but at some AVS forum a few months ago he returned to this interesting theme.
http://www.avsforum.com/the-future-of-headphones/

here it is...see 35min or so
https://youtu.be/h9dCKuOgO7I

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 36

First off, there isn't really a 'true intent'. You'll see marketing along the lines of 'hear music the way the artist intended'. Honestly, that is marketing bull. Most artists aren't the ones behind the control booth, and don't really have the ears / experience for mixing / mastering. Some do. Most artist / musicians are busy creating, and not worrying about things like dithering, dynamic compression, limiting, EQ, side-chaining, mix levels, mic placement, convolution reverbs, etc. 

The engineers in the control booth are the most important part of today's music, more so than the singers and rappers. I guess I just like to hear what they hear, so that's why monitors sound better. Thanks for the answers!

So what the mastering engineer intends, for most commercial music, is that the music translates as good as possible across the broadest range of preferred listening devices. Unfortunately / fortunately? this also may include Beats headphones. :p But even most peoples 'entertainment systems' are hyped in frequency response. Essentially sweetened to make up for their lack of dynamic performance. In this sense, using studio monitors, headphone or speakers, is like using a calibrated monitor for graphic design - something I'm even more familiar with. At least with visual design, I can be assured that most people have pretty solid screens and color reproduction with the many iDevices out there (Apple has been good for this). With audio, its a bit of crapshoot. From car speakers, to ear buds, to Bose  systems, the engineer has a bit of work cut out. And for the most part the work requires dynamic compression and limiting to squash those dynamics and increase the volume - heightening the perception of discernable sound, at the expense of dynamics. 

I don't understand it, but there should definitely be a control or reference to refer to, something universal. Sorry if I derailed your thread with my questions about this. 
I tried SR60i with the John Coltrane music you mentioned at the start of your comparison and the soundfield isn't as hard left or right as it was with DT1350. Grado is probably one of the best choices for music from this era.

TL;DR

don't worry, not too long! I did read!

- listening through studio monitors is closer to what you'd hear in the control booth, or final stage of mastering for the engineer. I would say euphonic presentations are trying to recreate a different reference, that of the 'real' experience. In such way the HD700 excels. It less close to the neutral studio response, but closer to the real-world reproduction within an environment. 

Bass reproduction is incredibly important, even to boost perception of tactile response of bass instruments - both natural and electronic. For HD700, HD800 it needs to be accurate, but they don't have the volume levels required to reproduce modern heavy bass music genres. So in actuality, they fail to reproduce both the studio sound and intended real-world/club sound of some of this music! The MDR-7520 on the other hand, captures both studio sound (with a sub thrown in) and a bit of real-world sound. Like I've alluded to, it is a bit of the real sleeper in my headphone collection, and ultimately may 'the best' even if it isn't the best sounding all the time. There isn't a genre the MDR-7520 will completely fail at.  

They don't have subs in studios? 

Monitors aren't usually as expensive as the most expensive audiophile phones. Are audiophile phones chasing after something euphonic (artificial, colored)? Are they less accurate, even though they're more expensive? 
For instance, does the T1, HD800s, Orpheus, Utopia, LCD1/2/3/4, etc., pretty up the sound? Does a piano sound "more" beautiful on them than they do in real life? 

In my opinion pianos don't sound that beautiful in real life. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 36

I don't understand it, but there should definitely be a control or reference to refer to, something universal. Sorry if I derailed your thread with my questions about this. 
I tried SR60i with the John Coltrane music you mentioned at the start of your comparison and the soundfield isn't as hard left or right as it was with DT1350. Grado is probably one of the best choices for music from this era.

Consider that from the beginning of recording and sound reproduction - like photography - is but an approximation of reality. One that has its own qualities whose limitations have been approached creatively.

Our real reference is the physics of the real world. One day you'll be able to stand in a space, record a sound, and play it back exactly the way you perceived it. We could probably do this today, but the recording and playback would be fixed to a treated area. Even then, the computational modelling for HRTF and other factors may not quite be powerful enough.

Quote:

Yeah, not sure why that would. I think it is a matter of perception though, as in truth, it really is hard panned. You can look at the wave forms and see that lthere is only a little and sometimes no bleed from one stereo channel to the other with these older recordings. The early stereo recordings weren't in any way designed for headphones. they recognized that people would be playing them on - wait for it - 2 speakers!! Going from mono to two channel was a big deal. by the time the 50s and 60s rolled around hi-fi was a real thing. And actually you had very refined speakers and equipment including planars... stuff we've forgotten about but may be quite surprised at how good it was. 

Another factor is the headphones themselves, a small bit of the left channel and right channel can still bring some measure of crossfeed back to the other channel in open headphones. Also vibrations can run up the headband and to the other side. not sure how much would be perceptible though.

But I hear yeah. My closed 7520s are going to sound more hard panned than my open backs or d2000, but I think its just noticed less, as not all of these frequencies are brought as forward. 

Quote:

They don't have subs in studios? 

Monitors aren't usually as expensive as the most expensive audiophile phones. Are audiophile phones chasing after something euphonic (artificial, colored)? Are they less accurate, even though they're more expensive? 
For instance, does the T1, HD800s, Orpheus, Utopia, LCD1/2/3/4, etc., pretty up the sound? Does a piano sound "more" beautiful on them than they do in real life? 

There are still many approaches to engineering and production. There are some standard tools of the trade. back in the day I'd see someone studio who had either a pair of two-channel Yamahas, or Mackie 824s - sans sub. These speakers would produce a portion of the bass range, but the lowest of lows weren't reproduced. Surprise surprise, early 80s, 90s, techno and hiphop weren't alway the best, and pretty tinny sounding (there are some true outstanding exceptions). Again, if you didn't have the sound system to hear it, you weren't aware of what you were missing. Even some mastering houses might just have had a pair of Focals and some Bower Wilkin 802s. However, even without a sub, with the right studio equipment you could analyze what was being recorded / reproduced visually. Much like a videographer will color correct their footage using metering. 

Increasingly, more studio and mastering houses, especially those for film, will have high-end subs.

I can guarantee this guy (Tipper) has a sub in his studio:
http://www.barcodezine.com/Tipper%20Interview.htm

I have a nice selection of monitors; A set of Focals with a matching sub for the everyday setup. A 7.1 configuration using Alesis monitors and a 5.1 configuration using a Monster audio setup.

Quote:

Headphones cost a fraction of high-end monitors. Both have advantages. Increasingly, with DSP and manufacturing, i think we'll get to the point creating headphones that surpass floor-standing speakers - and be a lot more versatile in application, as well as affordable due to mass economy of scale.

As for monitor headphones, yes they are less expensive than audiophile headphones, but they only need to do a certain task. However, different markets can be sold similar products for higher prices. However, you will see some high-end headphones in some studios, especially as headphones are increasingly more relevant for personal listening, and gaming. I just sold a pair of HD650s to an engineer last year :)

I think we get used to the artificiality of sound reproduction. In the best of acoustic spaces, the right instrument and player, it is an unmatched experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back