Headphone comfort needed ...
Jan 20, 2006 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PaulBoy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks! I have been off work for a few months with a back problem and have a CDP / Amp in the bedroom where I spend long periods lying -
Headphones have been a godsend but the Senn HD555's I decided on are not comfortable when lying flat - I also dont like the circumaural "feel" after an hour or two (I love the sound of the Senns btw)
I have decided to try supraaural phones & would like recommendations - I have a budget of £80 ($140) - I have read about the HD25-SP's that might fit the bill - they appear to have mixed reviews (?) Other alternatives would be appreciated (I dont have to have Senns
tongue.gif
)
Paul
confused.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 9
... anyone please
confused.gif

... Grado SR80's also look promising so which would suit my needs between them & the HD25's
confused.gif

Listen to rock music mostly through CDP / stereo amp
Budget could be stretched by £40-50 (as I will b selling my HD555's)
You know you want to help! - Paul
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi there,

Would you willing to try AKG K26P or Sennheiser PX100. You can gett two in one or even three in one.
First: they are portable, so you can use them outside
Second: Simply great sounding. I am also ROCK listener.
Third: One of them, AKG, is close back. Minimum leaking of sound to.
And the last one is of course comfort, it's there belive me.

I am using AKG K26P, very happy about it.

Good luck!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 9
The PX-100 are flat while the K26P and the HD25 will stick out from your ears... I don't know what exactly is your problem when lying down but the PX100 is one of the few good headphones (as opposed to earbuds/in-ears) that are pillow-compatible.

Also, I have to issue the customary K26P warning: it could be a massive disapointment... either there's a quality control issue or there have been several versions. In any case, mine sounded worse than most stock buds. I was able to control the bass bloat by modding them but they still don't sound as good as most open phones in their price range.

Last but not least... all circumaurals don't have the same feel. What other models have you tried and what exactly bothering you?

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
The PX-100 are flat while the K26P and the HD25 will stick out from your ears... I don't know what exactly is your problem when lying down but the PX100 is one of the few good headphones (as opposed to earbuds/in-ears) that are pillow-compatible.

Also, I have to issue the customary K26P warning: it could be a massive disapointment... either there's a quality control issue or there have been several versions. In any case, mine sounded worse than most stock buds. I was able to control the bass bloat by modding them but they still don't sound as good as most open phones in their price range.

Last but not least... all circumaurals don't have the same feel. What other models have you tried and what exactly bothering you?

Don't know what custormary problems there are, but you will get 2 years warranty with them. They made all such a phones in China anyway.
And nothing modding that i can recognise about the BASS. Just use your EQ settings correctly and there is no problem at all.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Blackmore - not sure if I would be tempted by the AKG's you mention can't say I've heard too much about them - I will check out a few reviews & see what others think here too ...
HFat - the feel thing is just the feel of them surrounding the ear - I've never had / used this type before & just don't like it - I tried a number of other Senn models all of which were this style - I got the HD555's as they were within my budget & sounded fine in the hi-fi shop (which only had Senns - a common issue here in the UK - poor choice of all things hi-fi-y)
So I doubt if I would be keen on different circum-aural cans Senns or anyone elses ...
Keep the ideas coming please ... Paul
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 9
If you are into rock the SR-80 are a great choice. If you get them new just make sure you burn them for at least 100 hours (200 is better). If you find the highs un-appealing then reverse the bowls, get flat pads, get a warm SS amp like the PAV2, or a tube amp. Good luck.

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 9
That's a tough one. After all, circumaurals are considered the most comfy kind of cans for extended use. (I can't wear my vintage HD420SL - supraaural - for extended periods of time without my ears starting to hurt. The same is far less problematic with the Philips SHP805, even though I'd consider this one of the less comfy circumaurals. The same comfort issues still appear to be present in current supraaural models à la HD465 if one reads the customer reviews. And of course, it's much debated with Grados.) One might try picking up a used HD590 - their sonic signature may be debatable, but cans don't get a lot more comfy than those. Perhaps a light supraaural headphone like the PX100 would be worth a try, these have received positive comments WRT comfort (but aren't in the same league as more expensive models sound wise, obviously).

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBoy
Hi folks! I have been off work for a few months with a back problem and have a CDP / Amp in the bedroom where I spend long periods lying -
Headphones have been a godsend but the Senn HD555's I decided on are not comfortable when lying flat - I also dont like the circumaural "feel" after an hour or two (I love the sound of the Senns btw)
I have decided to try supraaural phones & would like recommendations - I have a budget of £80 ($140) - I have read about the HD25-SP's that might fit the bill - they appear to have mixed reviews (?) Other alternatives would be appreciated (I dont have to have Senns
tongue.gif
)
Paul
confused.gif

For lying flat....PX 100 are awesome. HD 25-SP are close, but the 100 is even smaller and sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back