Headphone clamping on head, Long term damage??
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

darkburnout00

New Head-Fier
I've had the HD25-1 for the past year, and just absolutely loved them.
Their portability and their SQ have served me well.

But the one complaint I have is the clamping force. I've been wearing them for a year and the clamping force has not diminished one bit.

I was wondering, can clamping force cause long term damage??
Kind of like braces that apply small amounts of force for long periods of time to set bone.
I was wondering, could there be a possibility that long term use over many years can disfigure the skull cavity?

I'm a pre-med student, and am a little concerned... haha

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 8
ive no idea, but all i know after taking off the AKG K171 HD my ears hurts alot just after 1 hour... they are on-ear... and they are all red...

and with my Ultrasone Pro 750, the clamp made my jaws sore and i got some drowsyness thats over-ear. I lossened the grip and its perfect now.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkburnout00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else??

not familair with the phones, but a force that causes pain (generally due to nerve pinching) can cause long term damage if its for a large duration with significant force. Would recommend stretching the headband if it has one.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I wish i could
but the Sennheiser HD25-1 have a remarkable ability to be stubborn.
I've been using them for over a year, stretching the headband everyday before I use them.
Strangely, their clamp force has not diminished one bit...

I love these headphones, but they are troubling me.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd recommend finding more comfortable phones. If you somehow pinch a nerve and start getting chronic headaches, you might never be able to enjoy headphones (or music) again.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Denon headphones they have a lose headband, extremely comfortable. But poor isolation dispite beening closed.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkburnout00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the HD25-1 for the past year, and just absolutely loved them.
Their portability and their SQ have served me well.

But the one complaint I have is the clamping force. I've been wearing them for a year and the clamping force has not diminished one bit.

I was wondering, can clamping force cause long term damage??
Kind of like braces that apply small amounts of force for long periods of time to set bone.
I was wondering, could there be a possibility that long term use over many years can disfigure the skull cavity?

Well possible. The body adapts to all sorts of constant stresses. So in a while you will quite possibly look like a bottle gourd
biggrin.gif

Yeah, the HD25 can clamp quite hard. How open is your headband? The more you close it, the less it clamps. Also, if the pressure is too much, try setting the cups one notch down on the headband. Maybe even just on one side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back