Headphone chronology
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Okamoto

100+ Head-Fier
Well, this is actually a request to the more experienced audiophiles out there. I started in this hobby recently (compared to some people), so though i'm on par with the new models of headphones out today, I'm unaware of headphones from the past. What I want to ask is for you to make a "headphone timeline", with the most important moments in the industry, the most important releases (like the Orpheus in 1991), which headphone made more of an impact in a given year and why, which one received more praise, which one was more popular ect... In short, I want you to share your knowledge and experience of the past of this hobby with the newcomers.

Sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong place, and sorry for my english(not my native Language).

Thanks.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 6
http://overearheadphones.productwiki.com/sony-mdr-r10/ 
then if you scroll down there're phones like the qualia and K1000
release dates are right next to the marked out price (i.e $4000 January 1989 for the MDR-R10)
^for timeline, if you need any STAX phones like the omega http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html timeline

K1000 (2001) and the qualia (2004) would be for the sound stage. Though the k1000 is stupid-hard to drive (comparable to the he-6 I guess). First to use a 4-pin XLR was also the k1000 I think. 

As for the qualia vs r10, people wanted to see if it could scale up to the r10. However, with the qualia, it's a part of Sony's qualia product line of personalized gear. It had a large, small, and medium headband- unlike the conventional click or auto-adjust. For the qualia to get that seal, it needs the headband that fits your head. 

The R10 has its reputation as being the best dynamic phone of all time. Lush mids, sparkling highs, and a warm signature if I'm correct. Though the problem is, is that it uses the bio-cellulose drivers that Sony made. Pretty much dead wood inside as a diaphragm. Fail rate with these were pretty high, thus Sony using the liquid crystal polymer (what they use now) and other materials like nano-composite. 

SR-Omega (1993) and SR-009 (2011) both are highly detailed/accurate (what the typical high-end electrostat is) and are able to recreate the track very well w/ spatial placement. The sr-009 is noted for probably being the true replacement for the sr-omega since STAX kind of shut down and restarted. The Omega was made in the old STAX time period. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
http://overearheadphones.productwiki.com/sony-mdr-r10/ 
then if you scroll down there're phones like the qualia and K1000
release dates are right next to the marked out price (i.e $4000 January 1989 for the MDR-R10)
^for timeline, if you need any STAX phones like the omega http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html timeline

K1000 (2001) and the qualia (2004) would be for the sound stage. Though the k1000 is stupid-hard to drive (comparable to the he-6 I guess). First to use a 4-pin XLR was also the k1000 I think. 

As for the qualia vs r10, people wanted to see if it could scale up to the r10. However, with the qualia, it's a part of Sony's qualia product line of personalized gear. It had a large, small, and medium headband- unlike the conventional click or auto-adjust. For the qualia to get that seal, it needs the headband that fits your head. 

The R10 has its reputation as being the best dynamic phone of all time. Lush mids, sparkling highs, and a warm signature if I'm correct. Though the problem is, is that it uses the bio-cellulose drivers that Sony made. Pretty much dead wood inside as a diaphragm. Fail rate with these were pretty high, thus Sony using the liquid crystal polymer (what they use now) and other materials like nano-composite. 

SR-Omega (1993) and SR-009 (2011) both are highly detailed/accurate (what the typical high-end electrostat is) and are able to recreate the track very well w/ spatial placement. The sr-009 is noted for probably being the true replacement for the sr-omega since STAX kind of shut down and restarted. The Omega was made in the old STAX time period. 

Great post! very informative!

I didn't know Stax had shut down. They went bankrupt? And why is the SR-009 the true replacement to the Omega? SR-007 isn't detailed enough?

By the way, the first link you provided doesn't work.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 6
I could assume they weren't doing so well, and what you said is a possibility. Spritzer would probably know though. 

Well I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I think it's more of the sonic resemblances/similarities along with what you said. Wasn't thinking straight until now, but the other reason why the sr-009 is known is because of its ability to rival the orpheus. It's pretty much the contender for the top phone depending on tastes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back