Headphone choices on a budget!
Oct 31, 2004 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JCYC5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new here!

I'm looking for a pair of headphones...
  • Under $100, best if under $80ish...
  • Full size (I have Sony MDR-71s and I'm not too fond of them for long flights...)
  • Comfortable...
  • Would be nice if they sounded nice
    smily_headphones1.gif
  • Sealed please! I understand open headphones are much better, but I really need the isolation...

Thanks everyone!

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCYC5
Hi all, I'm new here!

I'm looking for a pair of headphones...
  • Under $100, best if under $80ish...
  • Full size (I have Sony MDR-71s and I'm not too fond of them for long flights...)
  • Comfortable...
  • Would be nice if they sounded nice
    smily_headphones1.gif
  • Sealed please! I understand open headphones are much better, but I really need the isolation...

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to headfi! How do you feel about in-ear headphones?
Amazon.com has a great price on the Shure E3 slighly more than you asked.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
Not sure how comfy they are for you but I liked them when I had them.

Another good choice would be the Sony V-6 (NOT V-600)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=281407

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Welcome to headfi! How do you feel about in-ear headphones?
Amazon.com has a great price on the Shure E3 slighly more than you asked.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
Not sure how comfy they are for you but I liked them when I had them.

Another good choice would be the Sony V-6 (NOT V-600)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=281407

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!
280smile.gif

I'm not too fond of in-ears... especially for long flights (I live in Hong Kong and frequently fly to Toronto... 13-15 hours!) Besides, I have the Sony white in-ear ones and I don't really want to spend much money to replace those...

Would the Sony V-6s be hard to find? I'd like to buy them here if possible... there seems to be no shortage of MDR-V300s about
tongue.gif

Oh, and are the Sony V-6s sealed?

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 15
For full-size, isolation and under $100, I think the best choice is the HD280. The V6 are nice enough, but only have about 1/2 the isolation of the 280.

Canalphones like the E3 have even more isolation and aren't as hot if you're travelling in warm weather.

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 15
ouch and i ordered v6s thinking i could get isolation,
i strongly suggest used hd 25-1 's(not sp), i had to go v6 because of my budget, and people told me they were more comfy(beyer pads) portable and better sounding ythan hd280s

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob
i strongly suggest used hd 25-1 's(not sp), i had to go v6 because of my budget, and people told me they were more comfy(beyer pads) portable and better sounding ythan hd280s

Are the hd 25-1's full-sized? They look rather small...

How much do they cost new?

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob

The V6 do isolate, it's just that the 280s isolate more.
280smile.gif
Also, the V6 are smaller, lighter and more comfortable and do sound better than the 280 un-amped. With an amp though, I think the 280 can outperform the V6, but in either case it isn't a day and night difference of one over the other. There's a lot of tradeoffs between the two.

I didn't like the 280s for a long time, but kept them for the isolation. Finally, something clicked into place -- whether it was me gettig used to them, burn-in or the right synergy with a good amp, but now the 280s really sing for me.

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 15
No, they do not fully surround the ear, and they're not the most comfortable thing on earth, but I don't think they're that bad. I wouldn't have a problem wearing them for, say, a 3 or 4 our flight. If the flight were twice as long I'd have to take a break or two, though. The HD 25-1 rests on top of your ear. your budget of ~$80-100 would make it hard at that price, but it's possible. I got mine at $85 shipped, but that was a rarity. Most people would get it for $140 or so shipped, but I've seen higher too.

Nov 1, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #12 of 15
V6 ~ $60 new ebay... cant be beat for that price, for closed cans. IMHO. Break them in thoroughly and the ~2-4Khz harshness mellows considerably.

Garrett

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
V6 ~ $60 new ebay... cant be beat for that price, for closed cans. IMHO. Break them in thoroughly and the ~2-4Khz harshness mellows considerably.

Garrett

I don't think there's anything that can tame that harshness too much... I've tried a few different pairs of V6/7506's and no burn-in makes any significant difference.

Love the bands you listed, Garrett!

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
For full-size, isolation and under $100, I think the best choice is the HD280. The V6 are nice enough, but only have about 1/2 the isolation of the 280.

Canalphones like the E3 have even more isolation and aren't as hot if you're travelling in warm weather.

Yes, Sennheiser HD280 is probably the right thing to go with.

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

Garrett

I'll try these out as well as the HD280s...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back