Headphone Choice DT990 or HD650?
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 48
Think of it like this, the Dt880 is prefered over dt990 by most people, if you are choosing dt990 over dt880 it is because you like more bass and treble than what is neutral.

Difference between dt880 and hd650, HD650: smooth, dark (some say veiled), quite good punch, liquid sound, tight bass with good texture. Dt880: little less bass that is not as textured as hd650, crisp treble that some think is fatiguing, nice midrange, to my ears a little bigger soundstage and a very clear sound.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 48
i think the big difference between the HD650 and the DT990 is the midrange. DT990 has less than the HD650 making it sound like it has a "V" equalizer-like signature. I've had both, but not at the same time, but if i were to choose, i would go with the HD650 because i found the treble of the DT990 to be really really harsh, which forced me to take a break after 30 minutes of listening. i sold it on the forums just for this reason.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok u just confused me. first u said the 990's bass has no body, and now u're saying the bass is special
confused.gif
. so i guess its special cuz it has no body lol. btw which version 990 are u using? the pro at 250 or 600 ohms?

You are confusing the two.. It has a nice impact & slam to it, but seems to have no body, weight, to it.. It's hard to describe..

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are confusing the two.. It has a nice impact & slam to it, but seems to have no body, weight, to it.. It's hard to describe..

X2

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 48
what kool bubba ice is trying to say is that the dt990s have a midbass emphasis that gives them punchy bass that hits hard, whereas the hd650s bass response is relatively flat. so the hd650 won't have the punch but will have a more balanced bass response. i personally think the dt990s have very realistic bass...drums and other instruments sound like what i hear in real life.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #21 of 48
Wow, lots of food for thought here i see, thanks for all your responses guys, it really is rather helpful as there is not much chance i am going to be able to demo both sets together, or even at all.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kool bubba ice is trying to say is that the dt990s have a midbass emphasis that gives them punchy bass that hits hard, whereas the hd650s bass response is relatively flat. so the hd650 won't have the punch but will have a more balanced bass response. i personally think the dt990s have very realistic bass...drums and other instruments sound like what i hear in real life.

I'd say the reverse, the 990 has a lot of deep bass but not a lot of upper bass.

I couldn't stand the treble though. +12db at 10khz? yikes!

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the reverse, the 990 has a lot of deep bass but not a lot of upper bass.

Yep, looks just like the Grado response curve
biggrin.gif

I haven't seen the measurements, but at least in listening, the 600 ohm version has significantly smoother treble, but that said, I still think the DT990's need a smooth sounding amp. I like using them with tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

the deep bass is there no doubt and in plentiful quantity, but the midbass/upper bass is actually more emphasized. i don't usually like to look at frequency response graphs but the one at headroom confirms my findings when comparing it to the hd650.

and yes, the treble fries my ears after a few minutes of use. i eq down the treble by 3-4db and it transforms into a wonderful phone. a lot of people don't realize that the dt990 has excellent mids, they're just being overshadowed by the towering treble. really, that's the only fault i can find with the beyers; the 10+ khz frequencies are exaggerated. i can see how this would sound great to older people who have progressively lost hearing over the years, but not to me. (no offense to older people, i'm inferring natural hearing loss that everyone goes through)

some people have dark setups and that also remedies the problem.

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

the deep bass is there no doubt and in plentiful quantity, but the midbass/upper bass is actually more emphasized. i don't usually like to look at frequency response graphs but the one at headroom confirms my findings when comparing it to the hd650.

and yes, the treble fries my ears after a few minutes of use. i eq down the treble by 3-4db and it transforms into a wonderful phone. a lot of people don't realize that the dt990 has excellent mids, they're just being overshadowed by the towering treble. really, that's the only fault i can find with the beyers; the 10+ khz frequencies are exaggerated. i can see how this would sound great to older people who have progressively lost hearing over the years, but not to me. (no offense to older people, i'm inferring natural hearing loss that everyone goes through)

some people have dark setups and that also remedies the problem.

makes me wish they made a non-bright version of the 990 - i liked it when i took out the treble. A shame, it was the comfiest headphone i've worn, even beat out the HD590

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

makes me wish they made a non-bright version of the 990 - i liked it when i took out the treble. A shame, it was the comfiest headphone i've worn, even beat out the HD590

they did
smily_headphones1.gif

in the form of the 600ohm version. that has smoother treble as skylab pointed out. add a high-current dark source/amp to that and you got yourself an amazing headphone setup.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

they did
smily_headphones1.gif

in the form of the 600ohm version. that has smoother treble as skylab pointed out. add a high-current dark source/amp to that and you got yourself an amazing headphone setup.

It would have to be flat with respect to the midrange, and cost the same as a stock one - both qualities i fear the 600 ohm 990 lacks
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 48
DT990 = sucked out vocals.
HD580 (haven't had the 650) = big lack of treble.

I haven't heard the the HD650 but most seem to think they aren't vastly different. I really dislike both of these phones for music (games/movies is a different story). I love vocals for a lot of music and good treble for rock and both of these phones just don't do anything for me.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #29 of 48
IMO, the 650 has more bass than the DT990. More low bass, it's also significantly warmer. The 650 is too heavy/warm to be tonally neutral. It does lack the sparkle of a Grado or a DT990 for rock as well.

I actually prefer the DT990 to Grado most of the time for rock, though I understand I'm in the minority on that point. I actually find the Beyer treble to be very smooth, and the Grado to be more harsh. I'm sensitive to harsh treble, but not boosted treble, if that makes sense.

While I wouldn't hesitate to use the 650 for orchestral or choir pieces I have trouble using it for coloratura soprano arias. I like a bit more crispness in the upper mids to treble for the vocals with a bit more de-emphasis on the lower end. For that I tend to favor my K271.

If you had to have just one headphone, though, I would probably favor the 650. It's not great at everything, but it doesn't truly offend but it is lacking a bit for strident music. The K271 is in that rank as well, though tonally different. The DT990 is still my favorite because the music jumps out and grabs you by the throat. The K240 Sextett ranks highly to me as well, though colored heavily too.

For those that do find the DT990 too harsh, tubes really do help in that area. Warmer, lush, with a good sparkle but not in your face like with an SS amp.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 48
Ok, thanks for all your input guys, i have grabbed a pair of hd650's off amazon with the hope of building a setup around them over the next few years.

I have them plugged straight into my laptop at the moment, as i am awaiting a new soundcard, so havent really given them a chance to reveal their potential. What are your feelings on HD650 + a tube amp like the little dot 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back