Headphone challenge
Nov 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

plastick

Head-Fier
I think there should be a headphone challenge where members are required to build a set of headphones out of a designated bag of limited materials such as wire and diaphragm material (paper, cardboard, malleable plastics, magnets and unlimited access to kitchen tupperware) then compete for best-sounding cans.

Can it be done? Do you want to give it a try? Maybe you'll be the next Beatz, by Dr. Dre.

No no, kidding.. seriously though, doesn't anyone remember messing around with magnets and stuff as a kid and making speakers out of the most basic household stuff? Maybe I was an odd one. I really believe this has the potential to turn into something awesome, especially with how many modders and DIYers we have here. Just throwing it out to you guys.

I was originally going to post this in the DIY section but I figured I'd get more interest here.

Here is some inspiration

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Interesting idea, but will the competitors have to build amplifiers as well?

I was mostly thinking DIY electrostatics here. Building the drivers, in theory, is simple enough, but it's the amplification side of things that can't be ignored given how differently they function.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 4
I figure any source will do.. I mean, they're tupperware-based cans. You should be able to build a source or find one that suits your design.

I was blown away as a kid at how accurate a construction paper cone suspended by tape and driven by pennies can be at low volume. Though if you turned the volume up above a whisper it would distort, but it was a great source of inspiration haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back