Headphone Central
Feb 21, 2002 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Its because I think this is such a cool hobby that I post pictures.. thats the only reason. I hope my little hole in the wall listening area might inspire someone to have just as much fun with this as I do:

hobby.jpg

Feb 21, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 15
I always thought your listening spot looked extremely nice and cozy.. Get a really good bag chair and you're all set
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 15
Even cooler, post some hooks on the ceiling and hang your cans! I like your set up, easy to flip thru to find cds, are those in alphabetical order? Or broken up by genre?
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Since you asked, heres what I kick back on (left side)

hobby2.jpg

The CD's- I keep them in a rough order, but not in any kind of system. The things I listen to least usually have a way of getting tucked away into the furthest corners. I fool around with CD covers though.. if I dont like the cover picture I open the booklet and find one that I do like. For example, theres a Smashing Pumpkin CD on the right that I did that with (top photo. see the faces?)
Theres a few more like that too.

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 15
I wish I had a place like that...
frown.gif
Looks like a brilliant place to meditate too!

redface.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Looks cozy, where's the Bong?

I'm still waiting for the results from your pre-employment drug test, Acid.

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
For example, theres a Smashing Pumpkin CD on the right that I did that with (top photo. see the faces?)
Theres a few more like that too.

Yup, is that one of their earlier releases? Billy still has hair...I also noticed Machina, i have Machina 2 if your interested in a copy
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 15
One of my favorites!

Nice room, too.

ok,
erix

Feb 21, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 15
gloco: I'm going to PM you here in a few minutes. I'm looking for some things I think you can help me with.

Flasken: what I do for meditation is put on rock music and play over famous or notable chess games. You would think the music would be distracting, but it actually helps me relax, detach, and see some of the workings behind these games. So its like a meditation. I'm better at appreciating old games then I am playing. Just like Tomcat is better at appreciating Wagner on CD than singing the aria's himself.

acidtripwow: what am I going to do with you!

erix: the track 'Outrage at Valdez' ..I love it on the Stax! With good headphones you hear the decay of the percussion/bass moments just go on and on.

Feb 21, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 15
Nice spot! Thanks for sharing. Gotta quick question for ya...

Looks like you have some accoustic insulation/padding on the one wall.

Question: does it work well or can people still hear some noise coming through the wall?

Thanks!
Bruce

Feb 21, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael

Flasken: what I do for meditation is put on rock music and play over famous or notable chess games. You would think the music would be distracting, but it actually helps me relax, detach, and see some of the workings behind these games. So its like a meditation. I'm better at appreciating old games then I am playing. Just like Tomcat is better at appreciating Wagner on CD than singing the aria's himself.

LOL!
eek.gif
Chess and Rock. Think about it...

Sounds reasonable though.. I'll try it sometime!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Looks like you have some accoustic insulation/padding on the one wall.

The 'Sonex' (thats the brand name) on the wall was put there when I used the space for a small floor system. The Sonex is still there, but it has nothing to do with the current headphone based set up. Sonex is effective, yes. It cant do miracles but it works.

Flasken-
Chess and rock
smily_headphones1.gif

It reminds me of a popular misconception about hypnosis, and that is: that people are more passive and quiet when hypnotized. In fact people can do all kinds of fast or concentrated actions while hypnotized. Its just that most people associate that state with lying on a couch or something. So its true that I listen to heavy rock/pop punk while playing chess, but its the same effect as you would (more easily) imagine if I said I listened to Bach. The music keeps part of me occupied while I'm trying to see how that Rook sacrifice is going to pay off in 3 moves.

Feb 21, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 15
Very cool setup. I don't play much chess, but I will play some good music while playing Mahjongg variants, for similar purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back