Headphone Care / Storage?? Headphone Amps.....On 24/7 or off when not in use??
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JackRabbitSlims

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

What is the general consensus on storing / racking headphones when not in use?
I use these wooden stands but read recently that they put unnecessary pressure on the Pads and also can affect the Clamp Force of the Headphones - thoughts??
61qfwo-Yg7L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Also - Do you leave your Headphone AMPs on 24/7 or switch off when not in use??

My HiFi dealer who sold me my Naim 2 channel system made it quite clear that the Amp and Pre were to remain on the whole time!
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance if you can help me out.
Cheers,
Steve.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 13
I like the style and woods that the stand you pictured has but I have not purchased one due to the very concern you expressed. My headphones are on stands that support them while putting minimum pressure on the headband padding and none on the ear pads. They are just tall enough to leave the cables attached without cable weight or bends affecting the cable life. All of mine are also weighty and well balanced to reduce the risk of being toppled.
There are many examples of good stands in the headphones picture thread if you want ideas. Some members have amazing ones through building their own.
My Naim gear and McIntosh amp are left on 24/7 because they have a low power standby mode so the design is made for leaving on. My other amps are off when not in use as they would have the tubes powered full time consuming expensive tubes and wasting considerable electricity so the answer is “it depends”. Reads like your dealer gave sound advice.

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I like the style and woods that the stand you pictured has but I have not purchased one due to the very concern you expressed. My headphones are on stands that support them while putting minimum pressure on the headband padding and none on the ear pads. They are just tall enough to leave the cables attached without cable weight or bends affecting the cable life. All of mine are also weighty and well balanced to reduce the risk of being toppled.
There are many examples of good stands in the headphones picture thread if you want ideas. Some members have amazing ones through building their own.
My Naim gear and McIntosh amp are left on 24/7 because they have a low power standby mode so the design is made for leaving on. My other amps are off when not in use as they would have the tubes powered full time consuming expensive tubes and wasting considerable electricity so the answer is “it depends”. Reads like your dealer gave sound advice.
Thanks for the reply ^^

It makes sense that these Headphone Stands are probably not ideal for the longevity of the Headphone for the reasons above. I liked the look of them and bought a couple without even thinking if they would serve their purpose well......I may change to something more appropriate.

I'm happy to leave my Naim kit powered on as per the instructions. Also, on the Naim Forum, this questions comes up often and it's always answered in the affirmative by well respected members.
I've emailed the Companies of the Headphone Amps that I own to ask what their position is on this......if I get a reply, I'll post their answer.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 13
What is the general consensus on storing / racking headphones when not in use?

Cool, dry place inaccessible to pets and toddlers.

I use these wooden stands but read recently that they put unnecessary pressure on the Pads and also can affect the Clamp Force of the Headphones - thoughts??
61qfwo-Yg7L._AC_UY218_.jpg

It depends on your headphone headband design and size.

HD6x0 will either wear out the headband padding or earpads depending on how you clamp or hang on that thing. I just use the innerbox - stays open if I've just used the headphone, then if it's reasonably dry I slip the whole thing into one level of my camera dry box (no need to get a dry box just for headphones). If anything, Sennheiser suggests that's the best way to store their headphones, because...

(Note: I don't have my HD600 box on the amp though)
1631457917964.png

Also - Do you leave your Headphone AMPs on 24/7 or switch off when not in use??

Leave house for work, movie, etc - off, unplug from power strip
Quick grocery run, sunny weather - keep on, headphones attached
Not sure if I'll use it again tomorrow when I get back in the evening - off, unplug from power strip
Not sure but maybe I'll use it again tomorrow but I'll be home - keep on
Going to do something else, might be back later - keep on
Thunderstorm - off, unplug power strip (I mean the ambient noise makes it impossible to listen anyway)
Flood warning, at home, no thunderstorm overhead, light drizzle at worst (flood may come from river from the mountains) - might switch it on and listen
Flood warning, at home, going to bed - off, unplug power strip
Flood warning, at home, thunderstorm overhead - off, unplug power strip

My HiFi dealer who sold me my Naim 2 channel system made it quite clear that the Amp and Pre were to remain on the whole time!
Thoughts?

On-off cycles can wear out some electronic parts especially if you don't have a surge protector and voltage regulator with a delay etc.

However so are frequent power surges that might at some point wear out your surge protector and if it gets hit really hard it might not protect your stuff.

So depending on the quality of the grid and climate/weather (ie thunderstorms, monsoon rains, etc), especially if you're not even home, turn them off.

Think of it this way: having a sidearm for protection or a rifle for getting your own food is nice, but you shouldn't leave it lying around, regardless of how you feel about keeping ammo and pistol in separate locked boxes.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Cool, dry place inaccessible to pets and toddlers.

It depends on your headphone headband design and size.

HD6x0 will either wear out the headband padding or earpads depending on how you clamp or hang on that thing. I just use the innerbox - stays open if I've just used the headphone, then if it's reasonably dry I slip the whole thing into one level of my camera dry box (no need to get a dry box just for headphones). If anything, Sennheiser suggests that's the best way to store their headphones, because...

(Note: I don't have my HD600 box on the amp though)
1631457917964.png

Leave house for work, movie, etc - off, unplug from power strip
Quick grocery run, sunny weather - keep on, headphones attached
Not sure if I'll use it again tomorrow when I get back in the evening - off, unplug from power strip
Not sure but maybe I'll use it again tomorrow but I'll be home - keep on
Going to do something else, might be back later - keep on
Thunderstorm - off, unplug power strip (I mean the ambient noise makes it impossible to listen anyway)
Flood warning, at home, no thunderstorm overhead, light drizzle at worst (flood may come from river from the mountains) - might switch it on and listen
Flood warning, at home, going to bed - off, unplug power strip
Flood warning, at home, thunderstorm overhead - off, unplug power strip

On-off cycles can wear out some electronic parts especially if you don't have a surge protector and voltage regulator with a delay etc.

However so are frequent power surges that might at some point wear out your surge protector and if it gets hit really hard it might not protect your stuff.

So depending on the quality of the grid and climate/weather (ie thunderstorms, monsoon rains, etc), especially if you're not even home, turn them off.

Think of it this way: having a sidearm for protection or a rifle for getting your own food is nice, but you shouldn't leave it lying around, regardless of how you feel about keeping ammo and pistol in separate locked boxes.
Thanks for the great reply - appreciate it!

OK, I'm gonna ditch those Stands and use the Box until i find a suitable replacement.

I don't have a surge protector for my mains, but I'll also look in to one of those right away.

Also, you obviously have some pretty gnarly weather in Manilla! I've spent loads of time in SEA backpacking and cycle touring, so I kinda know what you mean about Monsoon and flash flooding!
My climate is very stable, moderate and dry most of the time.....I never leave the house wondering if there's going to be Monsoons, Thunderstorms or Flooding.....

Thanks again,
Cheers.

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 13
The headphones I am currently using if I am not wearing them I hang on the mic stand next to me. So I can reach them easily if I want to put them on. Ones I am not currently using just sit on a shelf under my audio gear. No stands or anything like that. Most of my audio/video gear is on all day because I am using it. My computer is part of my home theater system and I am on my computer most of the day. My headphone amp I normally don't turn on until I am going to use my headphones. Once its on though I normally just leave it on. Mostly because it doesn't have a remote and I am too lazy to get up and physically turn it off lol. All my stuff gets turned off at night when I go to bed. Or if I am going to leave the house or go do something for an extended period of time. If I am just running up town or something and coming back I leave it on. I might turn off my tv because OLEDS do have a shelf life and will wear out over time. Everything I have is plugged into battery back up UPS's with built in surge protection and warranties coverying plugged in items.

Over the years I have done a lot of research on if its better to leave something on or turn it off. Like computers, audio gear ect. It varies by component from what I can tell. For the most part though now a days it doesn't seem to matter. In the old days there was an argument that cycling them on and off could actually wear them out faster because of the parts used. Heat up, cool down, heat up, cool down. I guess they thought that was bad on them. Now they say it doesn't seem matter much. I turn them off when not in use because one they put out a fair amount of heat and two to save on electricity. There a few things to consider with that though. Is it an item that will wear out while in use. Like tvs, projectors or something with tubes. And is it something that needs to warm up first. The problem is most of the items that need to warm up first are the ones that will wear out lol. I have not seen too many solid state products that need to warm up in order to function properly. I hear people say it makes a difference but I have never noticed it. Normally a few minutes is plenty. I am also not a big believer in break in or burn in periods. Never noticed a difference myself and I have a personal theory or nitpick with that too. Especially with expensive items. If it requires a break in period that should be done at the factory when they are testing/QC'ing the item. You shouldn't have to do it. It should be ready to go when it ships to you. If you are buying a thousand dollar amp or headphones and they say it needs X amount of break in before it sounds good then THEY should be doing that before they sell it.

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Also, you obviously have some pretty gnarly weather in Manilla! I've spent loads of time in SEA backpacking and cycle touring, so I kinda know what you mean about Monsoon and flash flooding!

Not just that. Our power grid sucks too, which is why we have power surges. There are times when the weather is good and my PC's voltage regulator starts tripping; my cousin's newer Corsair (half the age of my old Antec on the older computer that is still in use) just died last week too and he wasn't using an AVR all the time.

Houses aren't made any better either. Some people have HT systems that flicker when somebody flips on the washing machine or the dryer (they're not even on the same breaker).

My climate is very stable, moderate and dry most of the time.....I never leave the house wondering if there's going to be Monsoons, Thunderstorms or Flooding.....

If those aren't problems then your only real concern is a lower risk of power surges and such. So as long as you have a good surge protector, the only thing you have to ensure is there's a headphone or speaker connected especially if you have an amp with enough Class A bias because these will get really, really hot without anything hooked up (also turn the volume down; if it's perpetually on you wouldn't even need warm ups anyway).

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 13
@ProtegeManiac / @Paul Mohr ^^

Again, thank you both for your replies - much appreciated.

I'll find another use for those Headphone stands and will probably just use the Case they came with until I find something suitable.

Power surge protectors have been ordered and should arrive in the coming days.

2 Channel Amp and Pre will remain on, but my Headphone Amps will be shut down when not in use for longer periods of time.

Cheers,
Steve.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 13
I personally use a bank of battery back ups designed for computers. They also double as surge protectors and power conditioners that monitor and regulate voltage coming out of my wall. They also show how much wattage I am drawing too I think. I have issues with my power blinking on and off at times randomly, or just going out sometimes. And the voltage coming out of my wall varies from time to time. Suposedly these are supposed to regulate that. And if I get a blink out or a power surge they act as a buffer and my electronics don't see it. Plus if the power does go out it gives me some time to shut it all down properly and unplug it. I mainly got it because I have about 2 grand in parts in my computer and I don't want it to fry or lose data if the power does something funky. Then I added two more to cover my home theater system because my tv wasn't cheap either lol. They won't keep the stuff running for long because of how much power it all draws but it gives me about 10 minutes or so to shut it all down if something happens. One will power a laptop or something simple for about an hour though I think. And they have USB ports to run small stuff or charge something.

I also have a small battery pack that will power and charge most devices. And it will jump start my car!

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 13
I personally use a bank of battery back ups designed for computers. They also double as surge protectors and power conditioners that monitor and regulate voltage coming out of my wall. They also show how much wattage I am drawing too I think. I have issues with my power blinking on and off at times randomly, or just going out sometimes. And the voltage coming out of my wall varies from time to time. Suposedly these are supposed to regulate that. And if I get a blink out or a power surge they act as a buffer and my electronics don't see it. Plus if the power does go out it gives me some time to shut it all down properly and unplug it. I mainly got it because I have about 2 grand in parts in my computer and I don't want it to fry or lose data if the power does something funky. Then I added two more to cover my home theater system because my tv wasn't cheap either lol. They won't keep the stuff running for long because of how much power it all draws but it gives me about 10 minutes or so to shut it all down if something happens. One will power a laptop or something simple for about an hour though I think. And they have USB ports to run small stuff or charge something.

I also have a small battery pack that will power and charge most devices. And it will jump start my car!
Hi Paul,

Do you have a link to the Battery Bank that you use??

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 13
This is the UPS I have:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/449075/cyberpower-systems-1325va-ups-with-lcd-display

They make different sizes at different prices and other companies make them too. As a matter fact APC makes them and I think they are the exact same thing just with a different name. There are other companies that make better ones though if you want to do some research. I am poor so I went with more budget models and got them at different times, not all three at once. One of mine might actually be an APC and not a cyberpower? I got the first one at microcenter and the others at different places. You can find them at Best Buy, Staples and stuff like that. Or order them. Don't get the smaller cheaper APC ones that look like a big power strip and don't have a display though. I got two of those and they died after a year or so. The batteries died in both of them. I think I was pulling two much power through them to be honest. They work, they just beep because the batteries won't charge anymore and I am not going through the hassle of getting replacement batteries. If that is even an option for those models. With the bigger ones it is.

My little power bank thing that will jump my car is a schumacher SL 1314. But they have different names depending on who is selling them, they are mostly the same though. I got mine at walmart or meijers or something. Probably find them in the automotive section. Its just a lithium polymer car jump starter. But they double as a battery bank too. Mine even has a little flashlight in it. I think mine was like 60 or 70 bucks? And they work, I have jumped my Kia Forte a few times with it. I tried it on my brothers v-8 truck and it didn't work so well but his battery was dead dead. I think these little things have 300 cold cranking amps fully charged. They are basically incase you do a dumb and leave your dome light on or something and it runs your battery down. I wouldn't try to use one if your car actually has issues and won't start. Mine comes in handy because I don't drive very much and my battery tends to drain in the winter if I don't drive for a week or so. I need a new car but a battery pack and a charger was cheaper lmao.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumach...98ee8555df4b16341364e415108866b8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Keep in mind these are NOT "power conditioners" that you see for audio equipment. They are just simple uninerupted power supplies with battery back up made to protect computers. They will not make your stereo sound better or anything. Then again I don't think those fancy expensive power conditioners do either. Maybe if you have some serious wiring issues in your house but then rather than buying something like that you might want to get your wiring fixed before your house burns down lol. I actually did have to replace my service/breaker box in our house because it was old and nasty. The electrician showed it to me before he replaced it and said it was the worst he has ever seen. He said I was lucky it didn't catch on fire. That alone fixed some of my weird electrical problems like lights flickering and what not. You can also get a system that goes before your service box and will power your whole house. Generac automated generators I think is one of them. You are talking like more than a thousand dollars though. We almost got one. Basically a back up generator. If you lose power a lot though they are probably worth it. I don't think they do any kind of conditioning though. Just if you lose power they turn on and power your house. My dad has one, its pretty cool. Runs of natural gas so he never has to do anything with it. Power goes out, genny turns on. Less power though so you have to mind what you are running. It will keep the furnace running, fridge and let you watch tv and stuff though. I wouldn't turn on every light in the house, run the microwave and blend a drink at the same time lol.

The UPS things are limited on time depending on what they are running. I think it comes with a chart comparing draw to time left. Might even say it on the display too? The less power hungry the device or number of things plugged in the longer it will run. I did the math and mine will run my whole system for maybe 10-15 minutes. Which is enough time to shut it all off properly. And they make a heck of a rackit when the power goes out lol. Lots of beeping. Think somewhere between an alarm clock and a smoke alarm. No where near as loud as a smoke alarm though, thank god.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Keep in mind these are NOT "power conditioners" that you see for audio equipment. They are just simple uninerupted power supplies with battery back up made to protect computers. They will not make your stereo sound better or anything. Then again I don't think those fancy expensive power conditioners do either. Maybe if you have some serious wiring issues in your house but then rather than buying something like that you might want to get your wiring fixed before your house burns down lol. I actually did have to replace my service/breaker box in our house because it was old and nasty. The electrician showed it to me before he replaced it and said it was the worst he has ever seen. He said I was lucky it didn't catch on fire. That alone fixed some of my weird electrical problems like lights flickering and what not. You can also get a system that goes before your service box and will power your whole house. Generac automated generators I think is one of them. You are talking like more than a thousand dollars though. We almost got one. Basically a back up generator. If you lose power a lot though they are probably worth it. I don't think they do any kind of conditioning though. Just if you lose power they turn on and power your house. My dad has one, its pretty cool. Runs of natural gas so he never has to do anything with it. Power goes out, genny turns on. Less power though so you have to mind what you are running. It will keep the furnace running, fridge and let you watch tv and stuff though. I wouldn't turn on every light in the house, run the microwave and blend a drink at the same time lol.

The UPS things are limited on time depending on what they are running. I think it comes with a chart comparing draw to time left. Might even say it on the display too? The less power hungry the device or number of things plugged in the longer it will run. I did the math and mine will run my whole system for maybe 10-15 minutes. Which is enough time to shut it all off properly. And they make a heck of a rackit when the power goes out lol. Lots of beeping. Think somewhere between an alarm clock and a smoke alarm. No where near as loud as a smoke alarm though, thank god.
Thank you Paul!

I now have Power Surge protectors on all my Hifi / Headphone equipment.

The house I live in is quite modern and of a high standard. Built less than 10 years ago. The only time we have "power issues" is during extreme weather (perhaps once every 18months) of if there is interruption to the supply chain....ie, a vehicle has gone off the road and hit a transformer box....very rare, thankfully :)

The Power Conditioners I have seen for sale here are very $$ and I will not be going down that route.

Thanks again :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back