Headphone card, music and gaming?
May 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Netherwind

100+ Head-Fier
I plan to buy a soundcard to replace the horrible whining onboard on my P6T deluxe.

I had it narrowed down to the X-Fi Forte, but after realizing that the EAX support really doesn't mean much anymore.. I opened my eyes to a few possibilites:

Asus Xonar D2X
HT OMEGA Claro Halo
Auzentech X-Fi Forte

Any opinions which would be overall be better for gaming+music? Does being an X-Fi chip really mean that much for gaming?

I'll be running either SR225i's or MS1i's through the SC.

May 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 17
x-fi means nothing more than eax and you said it, its dead. get the claro halo.

The essence STX would be a good choice as long as you dont enable that emulation crap.

May 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 17
Okay, will the claro have no lag or anything with my guitar either? And does it have a mic preamp like the essence and forte? Probably should have included the Essence STX as an option.

May 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 17
One thing the X-fi has gaming-wise is a simulated 3D mode for headphones. I like it but some don't. It's for games only, no good for music. I'm not sure if other cards have a similar feature now but when I bought mine they didn't.

EAX isn't a big deal for modern games but if you have older games you still play it may be worth considering.

May 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 17
I agree with Toby M on this one. The only thing I really use with my X-fi is CMSS (the headphone effect Toby was talking about), as it seems to improve my A900s whenever I play games. I don't use the crystallizer, and as said, EAX isn't hugely popular any more.

Don't really know anything about the cards you've listed, but I figured I'd chime in with my X-fi experiences.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 17
There is more to the X-fi Forte, then just EAX, the card also supports OpenAL through hardware which is still going strong. The card is marketed as a gaming card but it is still great for music.

May 9, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 17
I would say the STX, the GX mode does more then just emulate EAX 5, it also whats gives you back surround sound in vista/7. IF your using a 5.1/7.1 surround sound system.

Tho I keep it on as I tend to use 5.1 speaker config in windows and games and then Dolby headphone in Games .

May 9, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 17
I have no speakers whatsoever except the crap ones in my monitor so I will not use any form of speakers ever, my room is also far too small to accommodate a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. Rob made a comment about the OpenAL through hardware... Will the little bit of XRAM/Hardware accel make that much of a difference to put it over the halo/essence?

May 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't think there's any compelling performance reason to use a sound card, XRAM included. I've seen some benchmarks show you get something like 1-2% FPS increase in some games, but you'd do a lot better by overclocking your CPU and GPU slightly. And I doubt you'd even get 1% if your CPU is fast.

May 10, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Thats why I dont really care for H/W acceleration when it comes to sound cards, I have a Q6600 thats oced etc and I have no reason to even worry about hardware acceleration I felt the same when I had a dual core cpu. To me it nothing because of the speeds of today cpus.

People still throw a fit for not or wanting it having it.

May 10, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 17
I have an i7 920 so that's even less of an incentive to use H/W accel over anything else based on info seen here.. so therefore.. my choices seem to still be:

The HT Omega Claro Halo
and the Asus Xonar Essence STX

May 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 17
I Would say go for the STX if you can.

May 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 17
I would go for STX.

I use D2X for movie, music and gaming and sound brilliant. You won't regret it as STX probably sound even more better than D2X
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back