Headphone Cables - Less Debated?
Oct 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
There's currently another debate raging in the Cables, Power, Tweaks, etc. forum on whether or not cables make a difference. When this topic usually comes up, it is usually regulated only to the discussion of interconnects, power cables, and extension cables. While there is a big demand for after-market headphone cables, there is rarely any discussion on whether or not headphone cables make a difference. We usually hear from the people that do change their headphone cables claiming an improvement, but little is said claiming that headphone cables don't make a difference.

For example, Senns (580, 600, and 650 in particular) are popular as far as replacing the headphone cable for something more expensive and of a higher quality. However, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say you could build a replacement headphone cable out of paperclips and it would sound just as good.

Is there any reason why there seems to be less of a debate as to whether or not headphone cables make a difference as compared to cables such as interconnects? Is the value of a good headphone cable less debated or is it just my imagination?

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Please feel free to add headphone cables to the exalted company of interconnects, power cables and extension cords.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For example, Senns (580, 600, and 650 in particular) are popular as far as replacing the headphone cable for something more expensive and of a higher quality. However, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say you could build a replacement headphone cable out of paperclips and it would sound just as good.

You probably could make a paperclip or coathanger cable that would work fine. I put both the Cardas and Blue Dragon on my HD-600 and HD-650. Also switched those around with the stock cables.

Not a lick in difference sonically with any cable. They all measured about the same on the DMM and showed no difference on the 'scope.

The controversy has died down somewhat. I think everyone either believes that there are magical, mystical forces beyond all human comprehension and defy every attempt at understanding, or the cable industry is a patent lie that parts fools from their money.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think everyone either believes that there are magical, mystical forces beyond all human comprehension and defy every attempt at understanding, or the cable industry is a patent lie that parts fools from their money.

Not necessarily fools, but people who have been misinformed and are emotionally invested in the wrong answer, and therefore not only have a steep learning curve but also a steep interference curve to overcome. It's really quite a complicated subject when you come down to it, albeit with a very simple answer.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 12
I may be the only person in existence who acknowledges that there is no proof cables do anything, can admit that I do not hear a difference, and yet still buy $50 cables for their cosmetic attributes

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be the only person in existence who acknowledges that there is no proof cables do anything, can admit that I do not hear a difference, and yet still buy $50 cables for their cosmetic attributes

Count me in. I have been admiring the handiwork of some of our more talented cablemakers in the 'post your cables' thread in the diy forum. Some look downright elegant. Enough so that I will soon buy a soldering iron and start to make some of my own; but it is for the cosmetic value, not because I have any expectation the cable will turn my msc75's into HD800's.

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I think that a lot of people do that. I like the look of the more expensive cables and I have no problem dishing out around $50 for something that I find aesthetically pleasing.

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Nope, you're wrong there.

I specifically bought a set of Blue Jeans cables so I could have matching cables with Techflex. They look nice.

I loved the Cardas Sennheiser cable. Really, I did. I didn't hear a flyspeck of difference, but man, does it look and feel nice. I could almost recommend it just because it's a nice cable.

One of these days, I'll put together a set of custom cables, maybe with fancy cloth covering or something. I want the setup to look good.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 12
I built myself a set of cables for my 650's and my 990/250's using belkin pureav 18ga speaker wire. The cost of the wire was $19.95 for 100ft so split the jacket and that's 200ft to work with. I bought some $5 neutrik 1/4" connectors and the cardas sennheiser hd6XX connectors for $16/pair.

Would I say it was worth the money I have invested? Heck ya. Would I pay for a fancier cable? Not a chance. I can hear a difference from the stock cables with both phones but it's not drastic enough to warrant spending any more than I did, IMO. I also like having a sweet looking set of braided copper cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been meaning to take some pics of my butchery, I mean handiwork. Here are a couple pics of my first attempt at a litz braid. You can laugh all you want cause I can't hear you.
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I think everyone either believes that there are magical, mystical forces beyond all human comprehension and defy every attempt at understanding, or the cable industry is a patent lie that parts fools from their money.

Just because you did not hear a difference or an improvement should not evoke such a negative comment. It did not work for you and that is great since you saved a lot of money. But some of us have heard a difference when we have swapped cables, enough to buy them.
biggrin.gif

I have tried a lot of cables w/ the HD580/600/650 in all price brackets. To me the best sounding was from RAL, but I would not order from them due to the poor reputation they have earned. A pity because it was to me the best sounding cable, however I found one cable that IMO came really close for a lot less money, the BlackSilver from Headphile.

So in a nutshell the end user will have to listen for himself/herself and make a call. BTW, I am not a Senn person and although I have owned the HD580/600 three times and listened to it countless of times I do not own them since I do not care for their sound signature.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 12
I hope that I hear a difference (haven't really tested one way or the other), but I'm not above making my own cables because they just look so much nicer, and are so unique.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you did not hear a difference or an improvement should not evoke such a negative comment. It did not work for you and that is great since you saved a lot of money. But some of us have heard a difference when we have swapped cables, enough to buy them.
biggrin.gif

I have tried a lot of cables w/ the HD580/600/650 in all price brackets. To me the best sounding was from RAL, but I would not order from them due to the poor reputation they have earned. A pity because it was to me the best sounding cable, however I found one cable that IMO came really close for a lot less money, the BlackSilver from Headphile.

So in a nutshell the end user will have to listen for himself/herself and make a call. BTW, I am not a Senn person and although I have owned the HD580/600 three times and listened to it countless of times I do not own them since I do not care for their sound signature.

Then he's right isn't he? If it only works for specific people then it's either rubbish or some magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back