Headphone Buying Help
May 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another $25 for M50 is not a big deal.
biggrin.gif
You can tell them that you will save up and pay for the extra yourself.
biggrin.gif

That would work if the parents would buy something off of EBay.

Basically in addition to wanting a circum-aural pair of headphones for 75 or less, my parents:

-will not buy off EBay
-will not buy refurbished equipment
-will not buy off a sketchy website (completely subjective I know...)

Sorry that this being made so complicated
frown.gif

May 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 31
There isn't really much that can go wrong with headphones. The only likely thing to break would be the cable, which can be easily replaced. The driver can break down after a while, but if it's refurbished, it was most likely replaced.

In short, you don't really need to worry about refurbished, as everything can be fixed pretty easily. Tell them that.

And all my headphones are from ebay, and no problems yet after more than a year!

My parents disliked ebay, but I asked them to give ebay one chance last year and as I have said, nothing bad has happened.

May 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't really much that can go wrong with headphones. The only likely thing to break would be the cable, which can be easily replaced. The driver can break down after a while, but if it's refurbished, it was most likely replaced.

In short, you don't really need to worry about refurbished, as everything can be fixed pretty easily. Tell them that.

And all my headphones are from ebay, and no problems yet after more than a year!

My parents disliked ebay, but I asked them to give ebay one chance last year and as I have said, nothing bad has happened.

x2

If your parents feel reluctant to use cc online, just sign-up paypal and link it with the bank account instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #21 of 31
lol if they are unwilling to even buy refurbished with 1 year warranty I highly doubt they'd buy off eBay

I heard good things about PX100 and those JVC ones on sale in Buy.com a few days ago. I also have a pair of JVC HA-G101, and while their sound quality is nowhere near anything above $40, they are the most comfortable closed headphones I have ever used. Definitely worth the $10 I spent on them and much better than the stock earbuds that come with most mp3 players.

edit: G101s sound nowhere near as good as anything over $40 that'd you'd want to buy. They still sound better than skullcandys and whatnot.

May 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 31
Here's a thought for you.

Tell your parents that since these are being bought for you, the decision of what and where from should be yours. Tell them you will take complete responsibility for the outcome, good, bad, or indifferent.

I use the same kind of system for my son, he gets the money, and if he wants to buy a cheap plastic toy that will break 2 minutes after being opened, instead of a solid metal one for a little more, well, he got what he paid for.

May 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #23 of 31
Thanks for all of the persuasive arguments. I'll definitely use them as the Audio-Technica headphones look really nice. However, are there any other ideas for a backup plan in case my parents don't agree? They can be very stubborn...

May 26, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 31
I'm entertaining the thought of trying out one of these Philips HP-910; they LOOK like AD700s and is only at half the price point. If they're as comfortable as people are saying they are I might just buy these over AD700s (though I personally like the look of AD700 much better)

May 26, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #25 of 31
If I were you I'd just get the px100's. You're probably going to end up upgrading to the 100+ range sometime anyway, and the px100's will at least be still useful because they're portable. You can't really get anything outstanding at that price range anyway, so you should probably just get something portable and save up for a good full-size.

The px100's don't sound as good as the sr60's, but they're much lighter, more comfortable, and portable. Plus they don't leak nearly as much sound, despite having an open design. I'd say either get those, or maybe buy a nice pair of earbuds/IEM's.

May 26, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #26 of 31
I am actually considering getting either the Denon AH-D1001's or the Audio Technica M-50's. Any other options? How are these two? I've noticed that Sony does not seem to get a lot of love here, and it seems like they have decent headphones in my price range, would anyone know about that?

May 26, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a thought for you.

Tell your parents that since these are being bought for you, the decision of what and where from should be yours. Tell them you will take complete responsibility for the outcome, good, bad, or indifferent.

I use the same kind of system for my son, he gets the money, and if he wants to buy a cheap plastic toy that will break 2 minutes after being opened, instead of a solid metal one for a little more, well, he got what he paid for.

Youre a good dad

May 26, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #28 of 31
I have Creative Aurvana Live! which is said to use the same drivers as the D1001s. I prefer the sound of ES7 because it has a more controlled bass but usually end up wearing the CAL! because they are much more comfortable (about 1-2 hours before I have to take them off). It's a bit on the bassy side but should be fine for most music you listen to. The only concern I have is that these ear cups don't really swivel and really aren't portable.

May 26, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #29 of 31
BTW if you or anyone is interested Im selling my Audio technica ad700s for 85 shipped in the US

Im traveling alot this summer and I would like to tak some ear canal headphones instead

May 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 31
I think I can swing up my budget to an ABSOLUTE max of 100. This includes shipping and everything and cannot go higher. I am looking right now at the M-50 and the AD1001's. What do you all think about those two? Are there any other choices for circum-aural headphones that fit my needs?

Aren't those AD700's open?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back