headphone buying decision
Mar 19, 2016 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

catroni

New Head-Fier
Hello. newb here!

I'm looking for the best possible sound quality headphones  ~250$, for mainly dubstep and drum and bass.

(would be good not to totally discard the "higher" range in case i want to listen once in a while, although definately willing to compromise)

(don't know enought)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As i understand these would be over the ear;
and if closeness in the closed one's is payed, then $for$ the open one's would be better?
and i believe to get all those bass's i would need a minimum freq of 4mhz?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some research i came up with these:

-sony mdr xb500 (heard the xb600 are better but think xb500 better aesthetically)
-vmoda m100 or lp2? (heard lp2 had better bass...)
-philips fidelio x2 (perhaps not very low oriented enought?)
-sony mdr-1r (4Hz-80kHz seems nice....i don't know)
-shure srh840 (i like the look of these)

Could you give me some opinions?
Other one i didn't mention?

Thanks in advance. :wink:

My feeling: is that, the xb500 have the best low's quality even at half the price of some...but i can be wrong

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 21
Are you planning on using them indoors or outdoors?

If indoors only you can opt for an open backed phone.
If youre planning on going out with them than more than likely want to choose a closed back phone.

Typically closed backs have better(more) bass,at the cost of soundstage.

The one open back that has both good bass(which is subjective)and decent soundstage is the X2.

Is it enough bass for you? Dunno,but when I listen to my X1s with trance there is plenty of bass slam for me.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the response, monsterzero. :wink:

I didn't tried many, but the only headphone that impressed me was the IEM Sony MDRXB41EXB, which it's possible because of the 4mhz lower freq....or maybe not.

I think the X2 really good looking and good specs. But perhaps the lower 5mhz is not enough...or maybe it is, don't know. (lol, i'm a newb)

1) so, a closed headphone with the same freq range as a open one will have better bass, nonetheless?  

(I'm still deciding between out/indoor usage, but if open is much more better than closed, i'll maybe go for open)

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 21
Generally speaking, most closed headphones have better bass than most open headphones. Are there exceptions? Yes., there are. But generally, it is true.

Most people don't use open head[hones outdoors because, well, they are open to the elements. Personally, I would recommend a pair of IEMs for the outdoors and either a closed or open can for inside. In the mean time, you probably should decide whether you think you want open or closed, so we can generate a list of options for you that is appropriate to your specific interests.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the response, serman005.

I understand that. Open is only an option for inside and preferably to use without company which may get disturbed by.

But since i'm looking for the bass oriented one's, and you say closed one's are better in that way.....perhaps i should go for a closed one, whether inside or outside, no?

In that case, is there any way an in-ear would be better than closed headphones? I would guess not....perhaps noise isolation a bit better? -> but i would go quality over a bit more isolation, anytime...

And I'll probably use them a lot more inside for sure.

So, i'll go a closed one, right?
The xb500 in not closed, isn't it?
Another thing: is max freq 28,000hz too low/too compromising? 

---------------------
Regards.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 21
I dont put much faith im min/max FreQs,some of the highs(and lows) human ears cant detect anyways....unless you have dog ears
biggrin.gif

Understand that more bass isnt necessarily better bass.some headphones have a ton of bass,but its loose boomy,sloppy bass that encroaches into lower mids and can drown out the rest of the music.

IDK...I like old trance(Medicine Drum,Beat Bizarre,Atmos,etc...) and for me X1s(or X2s) have plenty of bass slam without ruining the rest of the song....but they are an open back phone.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 21
Mar 19, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 21
If you wanna go stupid crazy on price(499.00) there is a new headphone coming out this year that is getting rave reviews.

Check this thread here.

Im not a basshead but I am a gamer and if what is being said is true,these are my next purchase(so much for that new amp I wanted)

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 21
  If you wanna go stupid crazy on price(499.00) there is a new headphone coming out this year that is getting rave reviews.

Check this thread here.

Im not a basshead but I am a gamer and if what is being said is true,these are my next purchase(so much for that new amp I wanted)

They don't have great sound but the base shake is unreal. I just listen to a bit of music going back today for a Halo clip they have. The headphones themselve are fairly comfy.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 21
I'll give them another listen today and give you a better answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back