Headphone / Audio Gear Pricing:
Feb 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

signet02

New Head-Fier
I've heard a lot of back-and-forth over this issue, but like many issues, there seems to be no real resolution to the matter...

The main question in my mind is this: Can headphone manufacturers deny you warranty service because you didn't buy the product from an authorized dealer?... And just what is an authorized dealer, anyway?...

In the late 60s and early 70s, the audio business had what was then called 'fair trade' pricing on most hi-end gear... Like McIntosh, for instance... Then that all went by the wayside, and sellers were free to set their own prices... Along with this came artificially high MSRPs...

Two issues:

1) I just purchased a muses02 op amp, and the muses people warned against cheap knock-offs... But I don't think there is actually a muses sales rep in the USA... If you know one, please let me know... All the sources appear to be in China, which begs the question: which Chinese sellers are legit, and which ones are charlatans?... Isn't this always done to sort of scare you into paying a higher price?...

2) Same thing with the AKG headphones I just ordered... Sellers with the highest prices always warn against buying from an 'unauthorized dealer.'  So, the corollary to my previous would be, just what is an unauthorized dealer?... Are there any well-established definitions for the two?...

It might change from state to state, but I always thought that if you bought a factory sealed piece of merchandise, and as long as it wasn't a gray-market item, and the manufacturer's logo was on it, then they had to honor the warranty... Sellers say otherwise... Factory reps are sometimes mum on the subject... And the prospective customer is left in the lurch...

Comments welcome...

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 2
JRC is not a company that is capable of dealing with the end user.  They have authorized dealers for that reason, places like Digikey/Mouser have large scale customer support and the ability to ship 1 or 2pcs of MusesXX efficiently.
I would be surprised (though it's not impossible) if any chinese or asian supplier is an authorized "dealer" that deals directly with JRC (I say this because none are listed on the Muses website).  Some of the chinese sellers may buy large quantities from Digikey/Mouser to get the bulk price point and resell them at whatever price point they choose.  There might also be fakes, there might not, the price point would make it an attractive item to copy for those doing so.  

There is a  USA/Singapore rep, I have dealt with them directly, however this person is likely a rep to manufacturers or other large scale customers, not end users (that's what Digikey/Mouser are for).  Although I dealt with the rep directly, my bulk purchase of Muses op-amps was done through Mouser.  I would recommend you do the same, unless one of you wants to take on a group buy and target the 100 or 250pcs price point (but the organizer would still be buying from Digikey or Mouser).

The only thing I can say to "authorized dealers" is it's easier for the manufacturer to ensure the product is legit (for returns, repairs etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back