Headphone (any type) recommendations for £350?
Mar 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gofre

100+ Head-Fier

Hi people. I know there's the dedicated thread for this kind of thing so I asked there initially, but answers seem a lot sparser than questions, so I figured I'd try my luck with a dedicated thread. So yeah, after *****footing around and buying all manner of sub-£100 headphones, I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and invest a good chunk into something bigger. I'm looking at spending about £350 (approx $500 if memory serves), a number I'm sure some of you could spend twice over, but as a poor uni student that's as much as I'm able to lump up right now!

Audio quality is the primary, if not the sole, determining factor. I don't mind what form the headphones come in, whether it's on-ear or over ear, or a universal or custom IEM. Whatever produces the best sound in my budget is what I'd like to go with. My listening tastes gravitate towards metal, dubstep and electronic music of various stripes, so while I don't necessarily want something that's bass heavy I'd like something with sufficient extension and impact at the low end to bring out the best of these genres without compromising the mids. I'd like them to be all-purpose if possible, so closed back would be preferable in terms of circum/super aurals, but not essential- I'd rather have the best set of open-backed cans for home use, but if the best in the price range happens to be closed back, that's even better. The sources will be an 5th Gen iPod Video going into a FiiO E17 via LOD, and a MacBook Pro feeding into the FiiO E17/E9 combo via USB. Recommendations from other sources include the Westone 4, Hifiman HE-300 and the Sennheiser HD 650, although I'm somewhat dubious about my kit's ability to drive the latter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back